Coyotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoy shooting them though! When we butcher a sheep or pig I’ll sometimes dump the guts in the field behind the house. Sit behind cover with rifle on a stable rest, about 250yds away from gut pile. I’ve killed several of them at dusk with this method.
A hunting buddy had a coyote hunter who would collect the leavings from butchering deer during those seasons. Coyotes are always in search of an easy meal.

ifishok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s the damn roadrunners, their always outsmarting the coyotes.
Angry Wile E Coyote GIF by Looney Tunes

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Coyote in my truck and Wile E. For the rest of them, kill 'em all and let God sort them out.

My brother had a lot of trouble with coyotes and chickens; one particular Sunday got named "the Chickenpocalypse" because the coyotes killed every last one of the chickens while the family was gone to church. Literally all that was left was piles of feathers. He got a livestock guarding dog (Anatolian Shepherd/Bernese Mountain Dog, IIRC) and an electric net to go around the chicken pasture areas, and he hasn't had trouble with coyotes since.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have been really active around here. Two mornings ago I head one of the neighbor's cows going crazy and a bunch coyotes raising hell to the south of my property. Right after sunrise when it was just light enough to see, I heard a couple of shots from the same area. A bit later I heard another along with a bunch of ATV activity. I heard more coyotes on the property to the north and that neighbor's donkeys were going crazy.

Last night two of my guineas didn't come home. I could hear them in the woods across the fence on the neighbors property to the north. But, it was too dark to see them in the thick trees and brush.

I let the guineas out this morning and they immediately ran over to the fence and started calling...for the other two, I guess. I took care of the chickens and was walking to the goat pen and saw a coyote snag one of the remaining guineas...on my property. I went and grabbed a rifle and walked over towards the fence. I saw on coyote on the neighbors side maybe 80 or 90 yards away. Fired a shot, watched him do a back flip and disappear into the tall grass and brush. I found some blood on the grass and saw where he ran off further into the woods. The guinea was still laying there. I walked back a ways and waited for a bit. Sure enough another one came back after the bird. I couldn't see it well enough to get a shot, though, because the brush and grass was too thick. I did fire a round into the dirt off to the right of it...that was enough to send it hauling ass back into the woods. I took the bird back to get rid of it in hopes it might discourage them a bit.

They are really getting brave, probably due to being so hungry. Everything's dry and I'm not seeing any small animals around much at all. I usually see a lot of rabbits around my tractor shed but they're all gone but one. Near where I shot the coyote this morning I found a little fawn that was unfortunate enough to have gotten hung up in the fence and became a meal. I don't feel bad about shooting him. I know they're hungry and just trying to eat but they're gonna pay a price if they decide to start grabbing my animals.
It's calving season as well. Best to watch the mama cows dropping calves right now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read where you would have to kill 65% of the coyotes in an area to just MAINTAIN their numbers
Back when I was a kid, there was a bounty on coyotes. So much per pair of ears. Don't remember how much, but every rancher in Osage County where there are pastures with tens of thousands of acres had horses or mules along with greyhounds to run the coyotes at night.
There would be miles of coyotes hanging from every fence post with no ears as trophy's.
Poison was used. Aircraft with shotguns, and yet Wiley coyote is still with us in record numbers and spreading east.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This one came up in the back of my house about 3 yrs ago I guess, I was eating breakfast at the bar looking out back at it, watched him sniff around a bit and then put him to sleep permanently, dropped where I hit him.

Attachments

• IMG_4760.jpeg
    IMG_4760.jpeg
    821.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4763.jpeg
    IMG_4763.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My girlfriend has a ranch between Jay and Colcord and a couple of weeks ago about 10:30 in the morning there was one walking down the center of the county road, it was the biggest I’ve ever seen and kinda had a wolf like face ??? I couldn’t shoot that one because it was right in front of her herd and I wasn’t dressed enough to go out after it.
There are lots of chicken houses around that area and figure they are after them? They haven’t bothered her calves??

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My girlfriend has a ranch between Jay and Colcord and a couple of weeks ago about 10:30 in the morning there was one walking down the center of the county road, it was the biggest I’ve ever seen and kinda had a wolf like face ??? I couldn’t shoot that one because it was right in front of her herd and I wasn’t dressed enough to go out after it.
There are lots of chicken houses around that area and figure they are after them? They haven’t bothered her calves??
So you're hunting coyotes au naturale? Years ago there were a couple of bench rest shooters that were odd looking, and we nicknamed them Kinky and Stinky, and a few years back I heard Stinky had died. Just out of curiosity, are you Kinky?

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Back when I was a kid, there was a bounty on coyotes. So much per pair of ears. Don't remember how much, but every rancher in Osage County where there are pastures with tens of thousands of acres had horses or mules along with greyhounds to run the coyotes at night.
There would be miles of coyotes hanging from every fence post with no ears as trophy's.
Poison was used. Aircraft with shotguns, and yet Wiley coyote is still with us in record numbers and spreading east.
Just like hogs, we will most likely never be rid of them.

If I was younger and had more get up and go, I would like to try my hand at trapping both coyotes and hogs for a side gig.

Latest posts

Top Bottom