CQT240 at USSA on 8/28-8/29

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdalover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has been my honor to have had the opportunity to take this class for the second time. I have the highest respect for the amazingly skilled, and knowledgeable instructors Mike Brown and Brandon Bennett. The same goes for the assistant and lead role player Dave Pyle and his team of role players. I also have a huge amount of respect and thanks for the other students and volunteers Mark and Steve. You have all taught me well and i thank you!!

For those who have never taken this class. I want to encourage you to make this class a priority training. It is a sobering experience that will forever effect your thoughts on training, as well as your actions if you ever are in the fight for your life. This training is an awakening for anyone that is carrying a gun for self defense needs.

I have met many people through taking this class twice. Some were everyday citizens, some were executive protective services, several were troopers, and a few were vets right out of Iraq. The one common theme amongst them when the training ended was how this training was unlike any other training they have ever had and they wish they had this training a long time ago.

We are sooooo fortunate to have the USSA training facility, these instructors, and this class here in the Tulsa area. Over the last two classes, students have come from Little Rock, Austin, Kansas, and as Far away as Minnesota. The fact that these people have travelled these distances for this class speaks volumes for the specialty training that is happening here. As a last note, I have taken many USSA courses but this is the only one so far that i have taken twice. It's that good!!!

I wrote a review back in March when i first took the class and the information is still relevant today so i am attaching that review below:

This past weekend i had the pleasure and privilledge of taking my 5th USSA course. (CQT240)
The other courses I've taken have given me an excellent foundation of shooting skills and knowledge. However, this course has clearly made the greatest impact on me. After this weekend, i have a better understanding of my strengths and weaknesses when it comes to saving my life. My future mindset and training approach are forever changed for the better. This class has helped me to add an arsenal of tools (mindset, knowledge, technique, problem solving, stress management, confidence, adrenaline control, just to name a few) to my survival tool box.

For most of us who carry a gun on a daily basis, i would think it reasonable to assume you carry for that "just in case, worst case scenario." The question is do you train for that worst case scenario. If your training for worst case scenarios are quick holster draws for a properly placed shot on a paper or steel target and doing quick magazine changes and tap/rack for jams or misfires, then i think you are off to a good start. However, you are barely touching the surface of issues you will face and try to overcome in a worst case scenario.

This course will provide those worst case scenarios for you. Live Human attackers (maybe armed, maybe not), Live Innocent bystanders, Carjackings, Mugging, Assaults, Robberies. When was the last time your paper or steel target shot back, punched back, pushed back, shot first, or tried to take your gun? Ever wondered if you could get your gun out in a fight rolling around on the ground? Ever tried fighting for your life in the confines of a car while you are seat-belted in and the attacker has a gun? Ever wondered what it's like to be in a borderline shoot or don't shoot situation and see what decisions you will make under stress and adrenaline? Think you can access and/or open a folding blade in a physical struggle? How easy and common is it for your gun to jam during a physical struggle? What's your ability to tap/rack your gun in a fight for your life? How easy is it to make a magazine change in a close quarters environment during a fight for you life? Can you get to your back up gun? Could you get to a fixed blade? Should you have waited to draw your gun or did you miss your chance? Does your gun carry enough bullets? Are you carrying self defense tools that can/will work for you during an attack? How well do your fine motor skills work when the adrenaline bomb drops?

This class answered all of the above questions for me and many more. If you want to find out the answers to the above questions as they pertain to you, the CQT240 class is the way to go. The instructors Mike Brown, Brandon Bennett, Dave Pyle, and the team of role players were extremely professional, extremely knowledgeable and it was obvious they were trying to give us the tools for saving our lives. They work together like a well oiled machine. Best gun related item i've spent my hard earned money on.

I highly, 110% recommend before you buy your next gun, light, laser, nightsights, holster, etc. you sign up for this class. I hope this post helps you to help yourself.

Bobby

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great review Bobby it was a pleasure taking the class with you and all the others. That was nuts at the end of the 1st day when you had all 4 of them on you. All of us standing up top were kicking around the phrase "HULK MAD". Was definately awesome and you sir handled it very well even with them giving you some extra for coming back a 2nd time. I'm definately taking it again when it comes back up on next years schedule.

And on a side note yes all the all other training i have done and have signed up for, 211 and 212 tactical handgun courses will be great for getting those crutial fundamentals but even still. They dont quite prepare you for that "O SH#@" moment when you turn around and are facing an attacker. But it all comes together none the less and some training is better than no training at all.

rmwolf

Marksman
Reaction score
Bobby and Preston, I think you well captured the "heart and soul" of CQT. It, along with Edged Weapons 260, is the best preparation for a criminal assault I've received. Can't neglect the Tactical Handgun training, but this is the crucible where it all comes together.

Pleasure observing this class. You all were a very talented bunch.

Mark

Latest posts

Top Bottom