Crawdad regulation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a cheap can of dog food for bait in my trap. I use a church key to punch the can full of holes. If I am going to eat them then I put them in non chlorinated water as Okie said and throw a handful of rock salt in with them. This causes them to purge their system in a couple of hours. Change the water after a couple of hours or so and you are god to go.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I use a cheap can of dog food for bait in my trap. I use a church key to punch the can full of holes. If I am going to eat them then I put them in non chlorinated water as Okie said and throw a handful of rock salt in with them. This causes them to purge their system in a couple of hours. Change the water after a couple of hours or so and you are god to go.

Didn't know that about the rock salt, wish I would have known that years ago:) Would have saved a lot of crawdad "babysitting".

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and my brother use to supply the local bait shops with crawdads and water dogs when we were teenagers. We would sein small cow ponds. This was 20 years ago and was much easier to get permission to do it. About 1 in 6 ponds would be a crawdad or waterdog hole. The trick is to find one that stays shallow and there are no fish in them. We would fill up up 50 gallon barrells with them and sell the crawdads for $5 a gallon and waterdogs for $0.09 each back then. Last year at Lake Fork, Texas they were selling water dogs for $3.00 each at the bait shops!

Latest posts

Top Bottom