Current Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cross fire FI was a dud from the factory. De computerized those and removed many of those OD transmissions that failed in under 70,000 miles and stuck TH 350 in their place.

I had 5 Datsun Z cars from the 240 to the 280ZX and I even built a manifold to bolt to the twin carbs on a 260Z to run an early carter AFB carb.
More power and more MPG same goes for my injected 280 cars.
With a cartech 4 barrel intake and another 4 barrel carb MPG went up as did the power.

The 700R4 trans in my 87 made it 115,000 or so miles then grenaded on me when I was on a date in 2004! Had it completely rebuilt, only reused the casing. I miss the days of $900 full trans rebuilds.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cross fire FI was a dud from the factory. De computerized those and removed many of those OD transmissions that failed in under 70,000 miles and stuck TH 350 in their place.

I had 5 Datsun Z cars from the 240 to the 280ZX and I even built a manifold to bolt to the twin carbs on a 260Z to run an early carter AFB carb.
More power and more MPG same goes for my injected 280 cars.
With a cartech 4 barrel intake and another 4 barrel carb MPG went up as did the power.
British Racing Green 1978 280Z. Loved that car. Had to sell it because I was the father of two.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love the Z cars. High school buddy had a couple of them. Both had exhaust fume issues. Spent most of his time trying to track them down. But they were a blast to drive

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had an 86 Silverado 2 WD SWB. Crank windows & manual door locks. 305 w 2 bbl carb.

Paid $10,300 new. Put about 265,000 on it then sold it for $3,800 in about ‘04 or ‘05.

Only left me stranded twice in all those miles. Fuel pump & blown transmission. Which doesn’t change the fact that the 305 was as doggy as anything I’ve ever driven. It was gutless. Would get stuck on slick grass. I worked with an old guy that said “it didn’t have enough power to pull a sick whore off the pot”. He wasn’t wrong, but I loved my truck. I’d like to have one just like it that had been restored and was factory new again; except for that drive train.

Looking forward to see how your project comes out. Little bit jealous.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which doesn’t change the fact that the 305 was as doggy as anything I’ve ever driven. It was gutless.
Huh. I worked at a Chevy dealership in the late '70s, and one of the zippiest new cars I ever drove was a Monza 305/5-speed. It would easily squawk the tires in the first 3 gears.

Maybe it was a performance model or something. :anyone:
___

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Huh. I worked at a Chevy dealership in the late '70s, and one of the zippiest new cars I ever drove was a Monza 305/5-speed. It would easily squawk the tires in the first 3 gears.

Maybe it was a performance model or something. :anyone:
___

That Monza had gear multiplication and a lighter vehicle to make it a runner.
But tag on another 2000 lbs to it and start off in second gear and skip to 4th and you will see how a chevy truck with a 305 would feel.

My ex brother-in -law had an 85 short bed chevy with the 305 4 barrel and TH 350 trans.
Computer controlled 4 barrel and feed back distributor.
I put an early Q jet on it and rewired the distributor and put a quick curve in it and that truck went from very soggy would not spin a wheel
to a tire frying beast.
Huge difference and he bought that truck new and told me it was not faster and getting better MPG.
It was around 1992 or 1993 when i tweaked it for him.

He loved the added power so much he told me his friend Nick Percival was going to stick a 350 into it for him.

I told him do not go stock and make sure you get that carb and distributor back or it will be slower than this 305 and get less MPG.

Well the distributor I modded and the carb were both missing but he got his 350" and all the tubes of red silicone to go with it.
Red silicone on intake gaskets, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets and transmission pan gasket.

This thing leaked more oil than it used. Ruined his driveway and 2 years of fighting it and the guy that did it he finally sold it off and
got a newer truck and loved it.

Those 305 engines worked well in light things when tuned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom