Custom work ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting my first custom work done on a revolver (my gun is enroute to 'smith now), and was wondering if anyone could throw me ideas that I might not have thought of. So far, I plan to replace front and rear sights, base pin, have action/trigger job done at minimum; also thinking of the free spin pawl, forcing cone clean up, and possibly barrel shortened. This is a Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag, 7.5" barrel. Might keep barrel same length for better sight radius for longer target shots and hunting purposes, but I sure like my 5.5" Blackhawk in 45 Colt. TIA

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at shortening the barrel of my super Redhawk from 7 1/2” to 5” because I was having issues finding anything but a chest rig to carry it in Griz country.
Smith told me it would be cheaper to buy a shorter replacement barrel from Ruger vs him cutting it down, crowning, etc. Time is money
I would still have the longer barrel as a spare.
He also said stainless barrel threads on stainless receivers tend to gall and lock up upon disassembly resulting in an expensive paper weight if the factory didn’t use an anti-seize product on the threads at assembly.
Having worked in an industry that used a lot of stainless studs and fasteners, I had to agree that he had a point unless the factory used a product at initial assembly to prevent galling.
tried calling Ruger several time to see if they applied anything to the threads at assembly and never got an answer.
Left it 7 1/2” after finally finding a holster to carry on the hip.
Yours being blued steel shouldn’t have that issue.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have changed barrel on 3 Supper Blackhawks & 1 Supper Redhawk no problem. Going back together threads supper clean with stainless lube. Still have original barrel

Attachments

• IMG_1632.JPG
    IMG_1632.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 47

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like you said the 5.5” bbls. are handy, I had my Super Blackhawk cut from 7.5” to 5.5” and sure like it.

You might think about having your throats checked and if needed opened up if you plan to shoot cast boolits. Another thing to think about is dehorning the pistol if there’s any sharp edges.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh man, you have one of Fermins sights, I’ve seen them on the web but not in person. Did you get one with the mirror on it?

Powers does some great work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom