Customized Wilson CQB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd have told them to trim the barrel back to be flush with the slide and then crown it but it looks good as is.

The bull barrel doesn't really have an advantage over a bushing barrel with a well fit bushing. Mine have to be slide hammered out with the barrel. It'll feel different when shooting it though.

If you really want a headache go and read the arguments about reciprocating weight as it pertains to cone and bushing style barrels. It'll make you run to the hills holding your head screaming "make it all go away."

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so if there's no gain in accuracy... what's the motivation to do this mod? increased mass?
besides the cool factor....

I don't think accuracy is ever an issue with Wilson because of their quality standards. I have a full size S&W 1911PD and the 4" Wilson is more accurate.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in a hurry, so the pic is not that great.

ai1022.photobucket.com_albums_af345_rodman2112_DSC00129.jpg
That looks great though. :)
so if there's no gain in accuracy... what's the motivation to do this mod? increased mass?
besides the cool factor....

it's more along the lines of adding weight to the front end of the pistol that doesn't move with the slide "non-reciprocating" as some body else said earlier. It is the same idea as a end-weighted barrel that has a cone at the end. NHC has one, and so does Wilson (everybody does for that matter). It just helps to tame the front of the pistol during rapid firing.

Having said that, I still prefer a bushing'ed barrel, but that's more of an issue of being able to strip it without any tools and using only what's on the gun itself.

It is, in my opinion that the fluted barrel does nothing but add to the "cool factor".

Of course, all these opinions are subject to change without notice, and if you ask 100 people for their opinion on this, you will get 100 different answers! :)

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This Wilson model comes with the bull barrel, it wasn't part of the custom work that was recently done. All of the fluting was just for the "cool factor", IMO. I have no doubt that the added weight of the barrel (especially at the end) has an effect on the recoil and muzzle flip. You would really need to compare like size weapons (4 or 4 1/4" models) with and without the bull barrel during the same shooting excursion to experience the difference.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so what's the difference... please enlighten us

This Wilson model comes with the bull barrel, it wasn't part of the custom work that was recently done. All of the fluting was just for the "cool factor", IMO. I have no doubt that the added weight of the barrel (especially at the end) has an effect on the recoil and muzzle flip. You would really need to compare like size weapons (4 or 4 1/4" models) with and without the bull barrel during the same shooting excursion to experience the difference.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pay no mind to the guys asking silly questions...they all know the answers to what they are asking. It's like asking the guy with the Presidential Rolex if the diamonds on the bezel help it keep better time.

That Wilson is gorgeous and a very fine weapon, dare I say close to the pinnacle of the 1911 masses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom