Cutting Shotgun Barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woolworh

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Does anybody know of anyone that can cut a shotgun barrel for me? I have a Mossberg 500 AG with a 26" barrel and it has the C- Lect choke on it. I would like to have 6 - 10 inches cut off the barrel. I am located in the OKC metro area. Thanks for any help or info.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
steve baldwin is in jones and can do it. Google "mechanical accuracy".

Fyi, 18" is the shortest I believe you can go on a shotgun (16" minimum is for rifles).

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Fyi, 18" is the shortest I believe you can go on a shotgun (16" minimum is for rifles).

Unless you're building a registered SBS of course.

You can do it yourself easily with a dremel tool. Just run a line of masking tape around the barrel and ensure it is square. It should line up on itself if it is square. Cut it off with a cutoff wheel and clean it up with a sanding drum. Little aluminum black should turn it black. It's really easy. Then if you want rem chokes in it Steve in Jones can do that for you. When I do my SBS 870 I'm going to have him put chokes in the barrel for giggles.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If you're the type, there is also a guide for a DIY job here somewhere. If you're wanting crown and threads for chokes, then you'll have to have a 'smith do it.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
when you find a solution pm me (SERIOUSLY) because im in the same boat.

Honestly I have came to the point where Im willing to buy a whole new shotgun with an 18 1/2" barrel on it.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cut it yourself. Easy to do..measure twice, cut once. cold blue once you clean it up...or does your mossberg barrel come off? if so, they sell an 18" mossberg barrel for I think $65.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

For the benefit of anyone who might not know, that is 18'' from the face of the bolt or breach with the action locked in battery. Personally, I wouldn't cut under 18 1/2. It ain't rocket science, I have, and would use a 32 tpi hacksaw to cut and a fairly fine file to square things up.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All you need to cut a shotgun barrel is a hacksaw and a steady arm. Once cut, file it down square and then ream it. Sand to a desired polish, and the apply a finish of your choice to match the rest of the barrel. Send it to a smith for chokes.

Dbltap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cut off my Maverick 88 barrel myself. It's a vent rib, I cut it off at the next place the rib attached to the barrel past 18", just short of 18.5". Used a hacksaw and cleaned it up, square it off with a file. Be sure to get any burr out of the inside to make the bore smooth on the end. BTW, ATF measures length using a rod down the barrel to the breech face. I used a brass cleaning rod to measure. Patterned mine after and can keep all 9 00 buck pellets in a torso target up to 20 yards (farthest I tried on a freezing day). Slugs are good to this range also. #4s are all over at 10 yds, so they're out.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do what my son did. Bought a 18 1/2" barrel and he can switch between the original and the short one in just a couple of minutes. It's like he has two guns, home defense mode or still go with his buddies to target some clays.

He also later put an adjustable stock on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom