Cuttyback cameras

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a young friend that has been having problems with the Cuttyback manufacturer. It seems that he bought the first camera and it worked for about 6 months when it stopped taking pictures. He sent it back for repairs which took a short time to get it returned. He then bought a second camera and has had it over 1.5 years no problems with it. He then bought a third one off the internet and used paypal to pay for it. It worked approx 1 month last fall. He just pulled it out and installed it on a tree. It worked approx 2 weeks and then quit. The unit indicates that it is recording pictures yet in reality it is not. He then sent it to Cuttyback for repairs. The company would not tell him what was wrong with it and still have not returned it to him. The company said it would cost $110.00 to replace or repair the unit. Since he bought the unit over the internet and used paypal the company would not honor the paypal receipt as proof of purchase. The company explanation was that since there was no receipt from a retail store then they would not honor the warranty. The unit is manufactured in China, apparently, and the $110 cost is actually for replacing the unit with a new one. The company therefore appears to not stand behind their warranty. Two units out of three cuttyback cameras failed and it was always a hassle getting any type of satisfaction.

In contrast the man purchased a Bushnell,which was less money, and it worked well and then it to went on the fritz. Two weeks after sending it in for repairs the company replaced the defective one with a new one at no charge. Bushnell stood behind their warranty. Cuttyback didn't. You might want to remember this story the next time you are thinking about buying a trail camera. I was considering buying a camera or two but with this story I know that I will not buy a Cuttyback.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a young friend that has been having problems with the Cuttyback manufacturer. It seems that he bought the first camera and it worked for about 6 months when it stopped taking pictures. He sent it back for repairs which took a short time to get it returned. He then bought a second camera and has had it over 1.5 years no problems with it. He then bought a third one off the internet and used paypal to pay for it. It worked approx 1 month last fall. He just pulled it out and installed it on a tree. It worked approx 2 weeks and then quit. The unit indicates that it is recording pictures yet in reality it is not. He then sent it to Cuttyback for repairs. The company would not tell him what was wrong with it and still have not returned it to him. The company said it would cost $110.00 to replace or repair the unit. Since he bought the unit over the internet and used paypal the company would not honor the paypal receipt as proof of purchase. The company explanation was that since there was no receipt from a retail store then they would not honor the warranty. The unit is manufactured in China, apparently, and the $110 cost is actually for replacing the unit with a new one. The company therefore appears to not stand behind their warranty. Two units out of three cuttyback cameras failed and it was always a hassle getting any type of satisfaction.

In contrast the man purchased a Bushnell,which was less money, and it worked well and then it to went on the fritz. Two weeks after sending it in for repairs the company replaced the defective one with a new one at no charge. Bushnell stood behind their warranty. Cuttyback didn't. You might want to remember this story the next time you are thinking about buying a trail camera. I was considering buying a camera or two but with this story I know that I will not buy a Cuttyback.

You are relating some of the same problems I had with the one and only cuddyback I've ever owned.
I bought the $450 model, and was never satisfied with the pictures. Most of the day pics were fuzzy, and the night pics with the IR were so bad one couldn't tell how many points the animal was sporting.
First year, the setting buttons fell apart. I threw it on the shelf for a couple of years, and finally got it back out and put it on the same mount as a stealth cam, and focused both of them on a pile of corn. The Stealthcam was the clear winner.

Put it back on the shelf, and finally got it back out two weeks ago, and called cuddy back to see if they could work on it for me. the price to repair it was $300, and If I didn't want to pay it, I could use it to trade in for one of their less expensive models.
for the trade in deal, I could buy another Stealth cam, so I put it up for grabs on this forum, and got a taker. It still worked, just didn't put up the date and time correctly.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Is this a generic version of the Cuddeback cameras?

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis - Thank you for enlightening and confirming what I had heard. This should be a wake up call for camera buyers. Cuddyback tells you how great their trigger speed is and several other attributes but their image quality,which is what we REALLY are buying, fails. If I am not mistaken, the company touts they are the best on the market. If soooooooo:angry3: then I think I will call the customer service dept of the cos that I am interested in buying from and see what they say. You can call up with a ficticious problem and see how they handle the problem. Real quick you will know if they are a reputable company that stands behind their product. Yes, it is a hassle. Is it not better to know in advance of what to expect than behind and you are stuck????

My son is in the market for a camera to add to what we now own. You can safely bet it will not be a Cuddyback.

Thank you again for your comments Dennis.:bighug:

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are looking to buy a dozen cameras or so for our properties and were pretty set on Cuddeback cameras. They look pretty good on paper (and with Tiffany Lakosky endorsing them.... reow!) but after reading the remarks on this thread and the other game cam thread, sounds like they aren't that great of a product, especially if you have to send them in to be repaired. I read the Cabela's website and the reviews sounded about the same. Does anyone have anything good to say about the cams? I always like hearing the good and the bad before I make a decision.

Reaction score
I think I will call the customer service dept of the cos that I am interested in buying from and see what they say. You can call up with a ficticious problem and see how they handle the problem. Real quick you will know if they are a reputable company that stands behind their product

^
|
|
THIS. is a great idea. If a lot more people did this, a lot of junk peddlers would go bye-bye, and the world would be a better place. There'd be a LOT fewer plastic parts / junk in my archery and shooting products, not to mention other everyday life products. Yes, stuff would cost a little more, but it would cost less in the long run, in time and money.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a stealthcam 1550 and a wildview extreme 2, both digital. They wildview is going on its 4th season. The stealthcam is going on its 3rd season. I don't have any complaints.

Latest posts

Top Bottom