CV 19 When will we take it seriously?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to admit I'm not really scared yet. I see a lot of panic buying, stocks took a plunge, WHO and CDC warnings no one is obeying, and idiots licking toilet seats.

My question is when are we going to take it seriously? After a government official dies? a celebrity or two? Who has to die to make it real? How many have to die to get everyone's attention?

We've already had 4 out of a family die in New Jersey and 3 more hospitalized.

I'm talking WWII come together attitudes is what is needed now. Funny to say it but rationing not because of a shortage but because of idiot buying and wasting might be next.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure. Think that most people are in a state of mild shock due to being caught off guard by this event.

As far as not taking it seriously? I think most of us (here anyway) do take it seriously, but don't buy into the sky is falling, doomsday narrative put out by the media.

Yes, we need to take precautions, and limit our physical interactions in order to slow the progression of this virus. But this whole panic & hording thing is just nuts. I shudder to think about what will happen if and when something truly awful happens.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure. Think that most people are in a state of mild shock due to being caught off guard by this event.

As far as not taking it seriously? I think most of us (here anyway) do take it seriously, but don't buy into the sky is falling, doomsday narrative put out by the media.

Yes, we need to take precautions, and limit our physical interactions in order to slow the progression of this virus. But this whole panic & hording thing is just nuts. I shudder to think about what will happen if and when something truly awful happens.

A side benefit of this is that people are more aware of washing hands and limiting exposure to other folks during.....get ready for it......flu season.
Hopefully this education will help reduce the deaths caused by flu.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A side benefit of this is that people are more aware of washing hands and limiting exposure to other folks during.....get ready for it......flu season.
Hopefully this education will help reduce the deaths caused by flu.
What the h_ll were people doing before this? Weren't most people already using soap, disinfectant and tp?

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What the h_ll were people doing before this? Weren't most people already using soap, disinfectant and to already?
The media wasn't 24-7 on the flu like they are with this virus.
CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza. The number of influenza-associated illnesses that occurred last season was similar to the estimated number of influenza-associated illnesses during the 2012–2013 influenza season when an estimated 34 million people had symptomatic influenza illness.
With the carona virus death toll miniscule in comparison to the flu, public awareness is heightened which should be a wake up moment for the population in general to follow precautions that they never have before.

Michael Armstrong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The media wasn't 24-7 on the flu like they are with this virus.
CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza. The number of influenza-associated illnesses that occurred last season was similar to the estimated number of influenza-associated illnesses during the 2012–2013 influenza season when an estimated 34 million people had symptomatic influenza illness.
With the carona virus death toll miniscule in comparison to the flu, public awareness is heightened which should be a wake up moment for the population in general to follow precautions that they never have before.
from October to February cdc estimates 12k. 2592 hours. Four deaths per hour average. Italy had 627 in 24 hours for an average of 26 hourly.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
from October to February cdc estimates 12k. 2592 hours. Four deaths per hour average. Italy had 627 in 24 hours for an average of 26 hourly.
Flame on. Who knows. It could be a stereotype. Aren’t people in Italy a little more ripe? As in not cleaning and bathing near as much as their American counterparts? Like the 1950s and back? That could be a major role in it?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think most people are taking it seriously except for the college age spring breakers. Most are just not panicking as much as the media wants. I know my family is taking common sense precautions and I feel that is all most people need to do.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is possible that some will flip from not taking it seriously to panicking if and when there is an impactful death count... when they drive by the hospital and see a crowd there like they have been seeing at the stores...
The cash payout that is coming is, in part, to reduce the possibility of some turning to criminal acts by giving hope to those who have lost their income.
Loving your neighbor is more than an abstract nicety, it means valuing and helping others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom