CZ 52 / 7.62x25 Tokarev Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the feedback guys, it helps alot. That being said i'll go ahead and ask another Q, so now that i'm definitely going to get one when I have a little extra, would you get the CZ52, TT33, or another 7.62x25 i'm not aware of? I'm leaning towards the CZ because I have actually put hands on one at the shop, it seems over-built which is good for the position i'm going to be playing it at (Ranch gun, plinker, opportunistic shots at coyotes or a boone & crockett class water jug.) Also has anyone hit OKC gun shows and seen these ? Thanks in advance.

Jeff

I would get a cz52. They seem to be built better than the others. Also by a machined steel firing pin, you'll eventually need it. These pistols used to be everywhere at gunshows, but I haven't seen any around lately.

bitterdaze

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey bud! I've had about a dozen Toks and CZ-52s. I loooove CZs of all kinds, but never could warm up to the 52. I even riced one out with all the goodies that makarov.com would sell me back in the day, even the Novak sights. The grip is awful, even with some dremel work, the safety is useless and even dangerous to use, even with an aftermarket firing pin. Trigger was bad no matter what I tried, no slide release stock, heel magazine release, etc.

On the other hand, I've never met a TT-33 variant I didn't like. I personally believe they're stronger than the 52, and I just love them all the way around. Like a baby 1911, or a 1903 that fires a hot load, reliably. Chinese models are nice, but Chinese, soooo.....Romanians are tough, Polish can be the best finished if you find a clean one (and closest to the Russian models that cost a fortune nowadays), and Yugos are just different. Not necessarily better, but different, and several parts including magazines are non-interchangeable with the other models and tough to find.

Toks are Tits!

Dimmuburger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know what you mean about the grip on the -52 - I don't mind it at all, but firing one would be smart before buying. It's a heavy gun, and it would be better if a more comfortable grip was possible (it's big, and contoured and wrap-around grips only make it bigger).

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought one at a surplus store few years ago. A big old heavy gun, but a powerful cartridge. Don't trust the decocker as was mentioned. I personally like the makarov better.

crazy8

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would get a cz52. They seem to be built better than the others. Also by a machined steel firing pin, you'll eventually need it. These pistols used to be everywhere at gunshows, but I haven't seen any around lately.
The surplus stores selling them for $89.00 and C&R collectors buying them by the create loads has a lot to do with the scarsity in numbers nowadays!:D
Same thing happened with the Argentine colt 1927 sistema's

Woodcutter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CZ 52 is stronger than the Tok. CB

Actually it is the other way around. The Tokarev is much stronger than the CZ52. A few years back a materials testing engineer did some strength testing on both the CZ-52 and the Tokarev and found out that the CZ-52 would not take much of an overload at all before the chamber & slide cracked, whereas the Tok would take a much higher overload. Just measure how thin the chamber wall is in the CZ52 at its thinnest spot, and compare that with the Tok's chamber. The CZ52 chamber is much thinner.

Dimmuburger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually it is the other way around. The Tokarev is much stronger than the CZ52. A few years back a materials testing engineer did some strength testing on both the CZ-52 and the Tokarev and found out that the CZ-52 would not take much of an overload at all before the chamber & slide cracked, whereas the Tok would take a much higher overload. Just measure how thin the chamber wall is in the CZ52 at its thinnest spot, and compare that with the Tok's chamber. The CZ52 chamber is much thinner.

I wouldn't've thought that, but now that you mention it, I do think I've ran across that somewhere.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd go with the 52, And start looking for a 9mm barrel just because. I have one for mine it's great to have the option. They are hard to find and expensive if you do. Expect to pay about 70-80 bucks now. it's a straight barrel swap if you do find one. the 9mm works fine in the 7.62 mags.

Latest posts

Top Bottom