Damn Full Moon!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ya'll are hunting some lazy deer. I saw 2 spikes and 13 does yesterday. I was on Lexington, so no shooting does with smokepoles.
I did sit through a nasty thunderstorm out there, but it got the deer on their feet when it stopped.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NE Oklahoma: S-L-O-W.

We didn't hear one shot anywhere close to our lease the entire weekend. Heard maybe 3-4 way off in the distance. To give you some perspective, a couple years ago I counted 13 shots on opening morning of muzzleloader close enough to make me jump. That's fairly normal.

I had a doe and a fawn come by me Saturday, and that was it. Hunting partner saw a young 8 and a big, mature 8 on Friday night while bowhunting. Other than that not much happened except we got wet.

Lots of new rubs this weekend. The end of next week is looking killer weather-wise. I'll start hunting hard from this weekend through opening weekend of rifle. I've been saving my best stands so as not to burn them out. Hopefully I'll have a decent amount of time. The responsible person in me is glad I have enough work to, you know....pay the bills. The deer hunter in me is saying "Screw being responsible, it's almost the rut!" The deer hunter may win this argument.

big-triple-d

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunted Saturday evening north of Earlsboro and Sunday morning north of Cromwell had the same results both days not a single deer. I stopped and talked to a farmer a mile down from my place in Cromwell today he said that they haven't been seeing any deer moving. He also said about 9 months ago they started seeing signs of a cougar along the creeks. Did see three does near 15th and Anderson feeding on some acorns around 6:45 tonight.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw nothing Sat nite, Busted a doe and buck driving out on a wheat field. moved to a different stand in the woods Sun am, saw nothing
Had lunch in town, and went to a stand at 0100 hrs and sat on an uncut, ripe milo field until legal dark and left seeing no deer. Walking the 1/2 mile out busted some does coming in to the field.
Totally nocturnal in my area.
Can't wait to see the moon go away or some clouds come in. Too warm too.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
long weekend. i left the red rock area and headed to edmond to drop off my wife and picked up my son. we went to a friends farm north of cleo springs. i took a nice 3 1/2 year old doe about 7 pm. had tenderloin for dinner.

my son set in a place that looks like deer heaven. 160 of wheat with 16 40 foot wide rows of corn in it. the field runs along a wooded creek. he saw 40-60 does each night. not a single buck showed though.

now the really good news. the rut is just starting up there. i didn't thnk i would see any rut activity. but i watched a little button buck attempting to mount a doe. the landowner and another friend both took bucks and the glands are brown and sticky. also had pics of bucks fighting on camera.

so, it looks like it'll be warm and deer will be hot in the next few weeks.

we all tried to keep a count for the landowners journal. between 4 stands we saw 167 deer! and i only one evening or that number would be higher.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SE Oklahoma: Pittsburg County

Sat morning only saw 1 fawn ( heard 7 shots one was a hunting partner who downed a doe), Sat evening set up a semi dry blind with a poncho and saw a small herd of doe right at dusk , too far to get a shot (heard 2 shots). Sun morning busted a small buck and a doe getting to the stand (heard 5 shots). And Sun evening had a small spike walk in on me (heard 2 shots, one was my dad downing a doe).

Not too bad considering the heat, rain, and wind. Looking forward to rifle season.. Hope it's cooler.

Latest posts

Top Bottom