Dan Wesson or Taurus?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never been much of a wheel gun guy, but am wanting to get one just to have. I like both a shiny snub and a blued 6 inch beef cake of a gun, but am not sure which I like more. At the moment I have the option between one of 2 either a Taurus 85 nickel plate with wood and hammer 38 spl, or a Dan Wesson 357 with hougue grips and sporting a 6 inch vent rib. the Taurus is siting pretty at 265, and the Wesson is at 500. neither would serve a true purpose other than a new range toy. I know there are people that will tell me to get an airweight smith snub for less than the Dan price, but that's not what im asking. If you had to choose between the two at the mentioned prices what would you go for? and why?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dan Wesson in a heartbeat. They're renowned for their accuracy and much more suited to range use.

However, $265 for a nickel 85 is a SWEET price, assuming good condition.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just don't see How? or Why? you could compare these two
One is an inexpensive, although possible decent shooter, the other is a Name, with some facts behind it
If its Not for carry, or as an investment the 85 will do
If you want a nice conversation piece at.....twice the price...the DW
Of course someone's gonna recommend the Smith, the Ruger, and a couple of semis that weren't even in the OG post....Good Luck

Charter Arms Bulldog....?

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stay away from South American handguns. Quality is inconsistent, hit and miss. I am talking about Taurus and Bersa in particular. I have both. With a revolver, you may have to hammer your empties out. With a semi, it's even worse.

When I purchased my Taurus revolver, I had to hammer out the empties unless I greased the brass. So I sent in the brand new revolver for warranty work. They did a good job, but this was a new handgun. Here is what they found and corrected.

i.imgur.com_bk4VLq7.jpg

Then, after months and months of going back and forth, I ordered another South American - this time a Bersa. I knew better, but I just had to have it. Shame on me!

i.imgur.com_12QEqM4.jpg

i.imgur.com_PnMEoPM.jpg

i.imgur.com_blcbxqz.jpg

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd go with Taurus, honestly.
I've never had any problems with them.
A Taurus Model 65 can't really be beat for just a nice and simple .38 Special.
I had one and it was just super smooth and accurate as all get out.
Now Dan Wesson's are still nice but I personally don't see a need for them.
Now something else to look at it either the Ruger SP101 or GP100.
Those two are excellent revolvers for sure, they are built like a tank and are very accurate.
Also Ruger's LCR is a nice lil' five shot revolver, it's very comfortable in the hands.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a nice DW .22lr with a 6" barrel. Wish it came with the other barrels. The double action trigger is light and smooth, but the single action trigger is like breaking a glass pipette; little effort and crisp. A fantastic trigger. Never owned a Taurus, but I'd happily spend $500 on a .357 vent rib DW.

Plus, the DW will retain value better. Not saying anything bad about the Taurus, but the DW isn't being made anymore that I know of.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
this isn't a real question is it? Dan Wesson all the way. Assuming it is still in really good condition, at that price I would expect a fair amount of wear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom