Deathtrap: Moore tornado debris reveals construction flaws, code violations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take your pick. There were plenty of F-150's swirling around as well as a combine and a bunch of cows and maybe a Lexus or two.
Those above ground safe rooms are good, Jack. But the pictures you're showing are not direct hits.
When a tornado runs over one of those safe rooms, all that imbedded rebar gets sucked right up into the air. The concrete guys and the contractors scratch their heads wondering how the hell that happened.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes there were people killed in a relatively new 7-11.
People survived in a much older post office that was in the direct path of the tornado.

Quality of construction and building materials are paramount.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those above ground safe rooms are good, Jack. But the pictures you're showing are not direct hits.
When a tornado runs over one of those safe rooms, all that imbedded rebar gets sucked right up into the air. The concrete guys and the contractors scratch their heads wondering how the hell that happened.

I was there. Following the tornado. It's a wondering that flying rebar didn't take me out.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've experienced an F5 first hand and it's just about impossible to say what will happen. I saw an entire neighborhood scrubbed off the face of the earth, nothing remained. There was a rebar and concrete building that disappeared. I suspect safe rooms are built stronger than a standard concrete and rebar structures but after seeing what I've seen, I would still be scared crapless hiding in one. They are pretty strong but I'll never believe one will survive a direct hit from a vehicle being thrown into it during a strong twister. All that said, if I couldn't have an underground shelter I would definitely get a safe room. Unfortunately, I can afford neither so I'm stuck with the cross your fingers method.

The only place I'll ever actually feel safe is underground but that's me, I've experienced an F5 and two that were F2 & F3 if I remember correctly, and I'm a bit twitchy when it comes to tornadoes after that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom