Decent inexpensive rifle for deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrentn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in need of a decent rifle for hunting deer, but I don't want to break the bank. I'm thinking something in .243, .270, or 25-06. What are you all's opinions? I've seen things like savage axis, ruger American, remington 770, etc. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

sent from omicron persei 8.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am in need of a decent rifle for hunting deer, but I don't want to break the bank. I'm thinking something in .243, .270, or 25-06. What are you all's opinions? I've seen things like savage axis, ruger American, remington 770, etc. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

sent from omicron persei 8.

Got 2 x .243s for sale. One is a Howa in a custom laminate thumbhole stock that has been pillared. Has a 4-16x50 mildot scope. Rife was never shot. Other one is a Remington 700 in laminate stock, 25 inch barrel, with 3-9x40 Nikon scope. It also has a bipod. This rifle has been shot maybe 25 rounds. Pm me for prices. They are on consignment with a local gun shop but I can pick them up any time to sell myself. Would meet you 1/2 to OKC ftf if interested.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
only option you mentioned that is worth bringing home is the Ruger. The others suck, with the savage being a better rifle than the Remington.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 of the unmentioned Mossbergs 100atr rifles and these shoot awesome a few hundred rounds down both one in .243 and a 30-06
If you happen to run upon one of those cheap.. I have $250 in the 30-06 and gave a Stevens model 200 in 7-08 for the .243.

And that model 200 is an overlooked gun.. But both of the above are no longer made new that I know of.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington 783 is the only budget rifle to consider nowadays: it's an honest evolution of Marlin XS7.
Other than that, just buy a package Savage trophy hunter from Academy - three position safety alone is worth the admission price.

Deer don't seem to care about a caliber much - good shots put them down and bad ones don't. (243 is the correct answer by the way).

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All three calibers are fine for deer. One thing to keep in mind is further possibilities for future hunts, i.e. larger game. Also depends on the distance you think you might take shots. The .25-06 and .270 both extend your range, all else being equal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom