Deer activity in the rain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falcon138

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well muzzleloader starts this weekend and looks like we have some rain in our forcast. How does rain usually effect deer movement? I have had some success in the past but just curious what others have expierence and I have heard good and bad things so just thought i would ask.

Reaction score
I've seen them move in the (light-moderate) rain - they seem to enjoy it. Being in a blind is fun - you stay dry and it's very peaceful! Doesn't affect bullet trajectory like you might think, either. Just so long as you have some decent raingear to keep both you and your ML powder dry while loading up, and going into and out of the woods, you're fine. A condom or some duct tape over the muzzle. Luckily I've got some XS condoms on hand! :eek: :D

Falcon138

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah i know its important to keep your smoke pole dry hopefully ill just be in the right spot at the right time not sure if i wanna climb up in my stand or not if its gonna be raining to bad..:lookaroun

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Considering running down to Duncan to hunt ML this weekend. The Double Bull will be in the truck with me along with a comfy chair to relax in. Need to remember the rain gear just in case.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The buck I shot last year during BP was in the rain there were 3 bucks just hanging out eating some grass, it was raining hard enough that is was hard to see them at 200 yards and the shot was about 140 yards. I can only speak for the place I hunt, when its raining in the middle of the day I am out sitting on the open fields seems like the deer are moving across open ground in the rain here.

Muleman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always had good luck during a light rain and right after a hard rain stops. Try and shoot for the shoulder and bring em' down quick though, otherwise your blood trail might wash away.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The buck I shot last year during BP was in the rain there were 3 bucks just hanging out eating some grass, it was raining hard enough that is was hard to see them at 200 yards and the shot was about 140 yards. I can only speak for the place I hunt, when its raining in the middle of the day I am out sitting on the open fields seems like the deer are moving across open ground in the rain here.

They move in open ground in my neck of the woods also. My third biggest was taken in the middle of a toad strangler rain.:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom