When to take Does?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRB

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This will be only my 2nd year hunting OK Whitetail Deer, and lately the activity at my only feeder with a working camera has fallen off a cliff. I live 1000+ miles from my east-central hunting ground, so I'd much rather get some venison and excitement than potentially getting skunked. Thus, I hope to harvest two decent sized does ASAP, and maybe a basket 8+ buck, rather than devise an allegedly optimized plan involving a "shooter" buck and the right order to get does.

I'm not quite in the "If it's brown it's down" club, but I might be close :D

As my place evolves - with a mix of feeders, box blinds, ladder stands, plots, etc, I might get more picky as I get more confident about harvesting at least a couple of deer, yearly, off of my property.
Acorns are dropping

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my general hunting area has a pretty high density deer population. we shoot quite a few does. the vast majority with a muzzleloader and rifle. in my personal scenario, i dont think the timing of the harvest is near as important as the harvest itself.

ETA: does that blow or otherwise make a scene get removed. i also dont like shooting does when its really hot out, meat spoilage and flies can kick rocks.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought on this, rethought, and then rerethought about this over the years a bunch. Ideally I don't want to mess with a doe when it's hot, and I want them around when the bucks are on their feet looking. On the other hand, if I wait until after breeding, am I just removing all the future fawns(bucks) from does that were probably bred by quality bucks? For no more does than my family kills per years it's probably not a big deal. But if were were mega doe killers, we could EASILY take over 20 does after Thanksgiving and that would eventually hurt the antler population imo.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a different approach currently, while hunting two places that are 12 and 5 acres than i did when i had a lease.

I can't move toward bedding or food sources, so I'm stuck waiting on deer to come to me. I don't have the luxury of spooking the does and i learned that the hard way the first year we had our property. Now i hold off until after the rut, keeping them happy and comfortable using my place.

On larger property, i would take the first does i could to lessen the number before the rut.

I don't think there's a "right" blanket answer

The blowing does go, regardless.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For years, I would not shoot a doe until the last weekend of season. (Texas, long season)

Then, I was on lease that was over run with does. First year, I seen 2 bucks hanging in camp, none from stand.
We were allowed 5 does, 1 buck; does were legal first 2 weeks and last week of season.
Talked about the situation with GW. For next 7 years, I shot 2 does or more, opening weekend. Was 4th year before I could convince a few others to shoot does.

When hunting squirrel, rabbit, dove, quail, hog; do you decide on which sex to target?

I try to seek out the GW before season and get their input on populations, ratios and recommendations. There isn't a blanket answer, area and populations differ.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to a deer meeting once hosted by the ODWC. They said that you can harvest 43% and less does and still have a growth in population. That is why the push to shoot a bunch of them.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
70% of the dove population does not survive 1 year. Hunters account for approximately 1% of that 70%. An insignificant amount.

There are 100s of opinions, possibly none correct, but they work as a whole, somehow. The Buffalo were almost wiped out. As well as other species.

The more we learn, the less we know. Misleading, skewed, cherry picked information and lies to support an agenda, don't help the situation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom