Dick Metcalf leaving Guns & Ammo!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the /r/firearms subreddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Firearms/comments/1q2fb1/dick_metcalf_no_longer_with_guns_ammo_and_editor/

"As you all know Dick Metcalf recently wrote an article in Guns&Ammo which was intended to be controversial. It was more than that, and in my opinion crossed over the line. In our fight for our rights, there is only black and white, there is no shade of gray. You are either wholly with us, or you are against us. Since that article was published many have vocally protested it. Some have done it on the internet. Other have done it behind the scenes.

The end result is Mr. Metcalf is no longer with Guns&Ammo In addition The editor who published it, Mr. Jim Bequette is stepping down and his position will be taken over by Eric Poole.

Eric Poole served our country as a Marine in Iraq. He is as staunch a supporter of our rights as anyone. He is a good fit for this position. The official announcement will be posted shortly on the Guns&Ammo website.

David M. Fortier InterMedia Outdoors Be Ready! Editor"

I'll take this as good news. That article was stupid. I'm guessing there was a swift and severe reaction from gunowners aka their subscribers over this. Be warned the rest of the thread has some language so if that's not your cup of tea you now know in advance

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why fire just a few people? My question is why did Guns and Ammo ever allow this to be published?

Did they want controversy?

Did they want to offend their target audience?

Did they want to lose subscriptions and advertisers?

Wouldn't this have been better to handle this "before" it was published...being "proactive" rather than "reactive"?

Again, why did they allow it to be published....who was or are the editor(s) ...may be a deeper or higher up's..CEO/Owner feelings allowing this article?

Anyone at Guns and Ammo on a suicide mission?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone already knew Dick was a moron, he shouldn't have gotten fired over this. Probably not the first stupid article he's written and won't be the last.
Jim Bequette who allowed it to be published was the goardhead that was responsible for it all and hopefully never finds employment again.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why fire just a few people? My question is why did Guns and Ammo ever allow this to be published?

Did they want controversy?

Did they want to offend their target audience?

Did they want to lose subscriptions and advertisers?

Wouldn't this have been better to handle this "before" it was published...being "proactive" rather than "reactive"?

Again, why did they allow it to be published....who was or are the editor(s) ...may be a deeper or higher up's..CEO/Owner feelings allowing this article?

Anyone at Guns and Ammo on a suicide mission?

When you grind out a magazine every month you can't affords to have 15 people aprroving every article written. That's the editors job. The editor decides what goes to print. I'm thinking that's why the person who was the editor at the time had to step down because he's the genius that let it go through. Clearly the owners of the magazine were displeased with his judgment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom