Die Recommendations for .308 Win.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Started collecting reloading supplies for the .308, and was wondering about dies. I have RCBS dies for my handgun loads, and have a new set of Lee Pacesetters for .223 (which I haven't tried yet). Are the Pacesetter dies a good idea for .308? I've heard of Lee's "collet dies", and not sure if they are necessary, or if the factory crimp die in the Pacesetter set will be fine. Any other recommendations that aren't total bank-breakers?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost all of them make decent dies. Go carbide.
I've used them all and for the most part I have no complaints.
Never had a set of pacesetter die so I can't help you there.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost all of them make decent dies. Go carbide.
I've used them all and for the most part I have no complaints.
Never had a set of pacesetter die so I can't help you there.

I've seen (and have) carbide pistol dies, but looking in the Midway catalog, I don't see any carbide rifle sizers. Am I blind, or do they not make carbide rifle sets?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dillon makes carbide rifle dies. But you better make a nice deposit before you write the check. Total waste of money too, unless you are loading hundreds of thousands of rounds.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, there's not really any point in carbide rifle dies. You gotta lube anyway.

Redding makes a nice set of dies for match style loading. RCBS is always a good choice.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hornady makes a nice set of rifle dies. The seating die uses a floating piece to align the bullet before seating it into the case. The sizing die uses an elliptical expander to reduce case stretching during resizing.

I'm also a fan of the Lee collet (neck sizing) die for aligning the case necks after resizing. Maybe Ol'Yeller will chime in about his success using this die combination for 223.