Dillon 650

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuykendallc

Marksman
Reaction score
The other features I like, but I wish they would offer the ability to NOT auto index. IE, when setting up the press.

I index my 550 with my left hand, load a case with my right, place bullet with left. Not as fast as a 650 with case feeder for sure, where the only action necessary would be placing a bullet, but still way faster than my Lee Turret!
This is my exact procedure as well. I can load about 500/hr with this method.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own and use two 550B's. I have a casefeeder on one and the other is virgin. (You might say it doesn't put out...) I love the increase in production I got with the casefeeder, but it won't do any rifle cases, only pistol. I did machine an adaptor for the 223 and if I feed them into the tube 8 at a time it works well. Kind of defeats the casefeed principle. I have about 26 conversions for the 550's and that is enough to keep me from making the change. If I ever get tired enough of not being able to use rifle brass in the casefeeder, I'll probably upgrade. If that happens, I'll probably keep one of the 550's and most of the conversions I have for it. Knowing what I know now, I wish I had started with the 650 and I wouldn't be looking back. Blitzfike

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I will admit that today I went against my own advice and got the 650; it was a pain to setup but I intend to do only 45 on it and let the 550 do the multiples.

After several hours of debating, I felt the 650 with case feeder and it's auto index was a time saver---giving me more time for the 9's and 38's

JP0212

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work at a very well known shooting range located about 1 mile from Dillon. The workers and owners come into our shop all the time. Had a chat with one of the Dillon brothers about a press and even he told me to just get the 550 unless I was looking at getting into a small reloading business. Basically, for the average reloader the 550 is more than enough according to him and the rest of the crew over at Dillon.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice! I suppose I'll still have to consider the trade-off, as my time is also quite limited. Pumping out hundreds of rounds in minimal time is very attractive, but the 550 already has a fair number of caliber conversions going for it.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started out with a single stage and then moved on to the Square Deal "B". I was amazed at the amount of rounds I could produce in such a short time.

I later decided I wanted to add rifle calibers to the list and went with the 650. I have trouble now keeping enough components on had to keep it running for any amount of time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom