Need help, don't know what I'm doing wrong -Lake McMurtry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
So been fishing a couple years now and I'm consistently getting skunked at smaller lakes. I like to fish McMurtry because it's close. What's a good all around lure people have success with? I tried everything (even live bait) and can't even get a nibble. I don't target specific fish I like crappie, walleye, white bass, all other bass, etc. Tired of watching annoying people on YouTube please help a brother out.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So been fishing a couple years now and I'm consistently getting skunked at smaller lakes. I like to fish McMurtry because it's close. What's a good all around lure people have success with? I tried everything (even live bait) and can't even get a nibble. I don't target specific fish I like crappie, walleye, white bass, all other bass, etc. Tired of watching annoying people on YouTube please help a brother out.
It will help if you target specific fish. Largemouth bass generally prefer different areas than crappie, walleye and sand bass.

Same can be said for the other species.

Walleye will move in on rip rap to spawn pretty soon and will be catchable on jigs, crankbaits and minnows.

Bass spawn on sandy bottoms but will be later in season than walleye.

Of course fish feed all year so decide which fish you want to target and then focus on structure and depth that species will be found at that time of year. Match what they are feeding on and will be game on.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat (the no fish catching boat). Most of the youtubers don't talk about the times they don't catch fish.

Here's a channel from a Oklahoma family and this guy actually admits they have days when they get skunked, or fish for 6 hours before getting a bite.

It's refreshing and I don't feel so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/@BooneBoys

Also, a friend of mine just went on a guided striper trip to Texoma and he said they didn't catch many, so even guides sometime don't do well.

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat (the no fish catching boat). Most of the youtubers don't talk about the times they don't catch fish.

Here's a channel from a Oklahoma family and this guy actually admits they have days when they get skunked, or fish for 6 hours before getting a bite.

It's refreshing and I don't feel so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/@BooneBoys

Also, a friend of mine just went on a guided striper trip to Texoma and he said they didn't catch many, so even guides sometime don't do well.
Well that's re-assuring. Felt like the only guy in the world getting skunked. I'll check out that youtube channel.

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
It will help if you target specific fish. Largemouth bass generally prefer different areas than crappie, walleye and sand bass.

Same can be said for the other species.

Walleye will move in on rip rap to spawn pretty soon and will be catchable on jigs, crankbaits and minnows.

Bass spawn on sandy bottoms but will be later in season than walleye.

Of course fish feed all year so decide which fish you want to target and then focus on structure and depth that species will be found at that time of year. Match what they are feeding on and will be game on.
Good points. I appreciate the response. How can I find out what they are feeding on in March?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Early spring feed will be crawdads, shads, minnows, perch.
As it warms up, worms, Then grasshopper and bugs.

Spring will be shallow water, deeper as water warms.

Color on your artificial is important. I have had days where ANYTHING thrown would catch, as long as it was red. Next day, it was yellow for bites. The next day would be purple. I make 6-10 casts and nothing hits, change lure, change color.

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Dò you ever fish Sooner? I do not own a boat but know a good bank fishing spot or two
Is that the one by the power plan? Never fished there. I have a small 10ft plastic boat, one reason I'm sticking to smaller lakes most of the time. With friends or renting bigger boats I fish Keystone, Skiatook, and Eufaula.

Latest posts

Top Bottom