dillon square bulging cases, and reccomendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upnover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
newly acquired square b for 9mm is bulging the last 1/4" of the case closest to the case neck, the instns say there is no adj needed, i ran the brass through all stations to see if the last crimp/size stage would take it out and it dident, i see no adj in the throw of the lever, it moves the collet? in the die area up when you run a case up which seems normal, and the turret seems like it could go up another 1/8" or so but again there is no adjustment. i cant see where it could have been assembled wrong by looking at the instns. the any thoughts would be apreciated thanks guys.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some pics of the bulged cases would help fix your problem. 9MM's don't have a neck so to speak it is a short straight walled case, if your talking about the flair needed to seat the bullet being to big then raise the die that the powder measure sets on up 1/4 turn at a time until there is just enough flair for easy seating of the bullet.
If the bulge is towards the base of the case then the size die needs to be lowered a until the bulge is gone.
Again pics would help.

upnover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sorry, it is the case itself, no neck but it is at the bottom end of the case close to the primer area. i can post a pic if i can figure out how. there is no adjustment (other that bullet seating depth) as it is not a traditional die but a progressive loader. thanks again.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by no adjustment, but all the dies are adjustable. They are not conventional dies, but are adjusted the same, by screwing them up or down. I reload 38 spl and 357 by with the same setup, by simply reseting the dies to a higher position for the longer 357 cases.

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran into some of this not to long ago, I deduced that it was 9mm major match brass and gave up. The pressures they run in 9 major cause the base of the case to swell a little bit.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that is in fact the case then a Lee "U" or an EGW undersize die is the answer. The major brass from USSA would always get me a few times per hundred loads. Now I just use the U dies and it takes care of everything.
I've also seen way too much crimp crush a case in the manner described. When is the bulging happening? Observe the case after each station and note when the bulge appears, should be an easy fix after that.

Oh! Is this brass extra shiny to have such flair? Or is it flared to accept the bullet? That was a joke :D

I ran into some of this not to long ago, I deduced that it was 9mm major match brass and gave up. The pressures they run in 9 major cause the base of the case to swell a little bit.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 9mm Luger is a tapered case. When you size it with a carbide die which has a ring insert it reduces the diameter of the case at the base. When the case is loaded with a bullet it displays a "Coke bottle shape" with what apears to be a bulge. If that is what you are seeing it is a normal reload with carbide ring dies. I beleive some manufacturers still make a hardened steel dies which follow the taper of the 9mm case - unfortunately you will have to lube ther cases and then degrease the completed rounds.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

A picture of the cases would really help. If the base is too bulged from overpressure or a very loose chamber, you won't be able to resize them. The 9mm is a tapered case and most 9mm sizers are a short carbide ring that attempts to "straight wall" 9mm. That is why I you get a coke bottle looking round out of most of them.

Thanks,

Alan

Latest posts

Top Bottom