Ditching Windows 10

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had it with Windows 10. The latest upgrade to my 8 year old laptop fails. I tried the suggestions to fix upgrade problems but they didn't help. Once the upgrade is applied Windows never gets to the logon prompt - just the splash window and the circling dots of failure.
When I upgraded from Windows 7 it lost a lot of my files.
I had a backup on a USB drive. I attached it to my Windows 10 systems and it became unreadable.
Enough.

I'm thinking Linux Mint - or does anyone have a better idea?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm running Sierra on a mid-2011 iMac if that tells you anything. I'll jump to High Sierra pretty soon. I started on Lion and haven't paid a dime for all those upgrades.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got fed up with windows years ago and have a mac. But linux would be a good operating system too. Mac os is built on a linux type.
Linux and unix type systems seem to be more reliable once you get used to using them. There is a learning curve to them but with
all the linux variations there are now I'm sure you can find one you like. I have heard good things about Mint too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a new laptop.
Back up your files and move along with technology.
My Acer laptop with 1 terabyte of memory was $300 on Black Friday.
My wife’s Acer with the same memory in touch screen was $100 more. Windows 10 and no issues, but I’m not a gamer either.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had it with Windows 10. The latest upgrade to my 8 year old laptop fails. I tried the suggestions to fix upgrade problems but they didn't help. Once the upgrade is applied Windows never gets to the logon prompt - just the splash window and the circling dots of failure.
When I upgraded from Windows 7 it lost a lot of my files.
I had a backup on a USB drive. I attached it to my Windows 10 systems and it became unreadable.
Enough.

I'm thinking Linux Mint - or does anyone have a better idea?

You've named that circle of dots wrong.

From the viewpoint of an old timer that did his share of being a cowboy, that activity is called, "circling the wagons."

While I'm not "crazy" about Windows 10, I can't say I really find that it is a real problem, at least for me. However, I'm also not a "power user."

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every machine we’ve tried to do just the upgrade too, has had issues. We’ve had to wipe each one and install a fresh 10. I’ve been running 10 on my Dell Latitude for about 2 years now with zero issues.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was done with windows too. I got a chromebook and ditched windows all together. It's good enough for what I need. Instant boot up and very hard to get virus.

Latest posts

Top Bottom