Do you like airplanes !!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had been up in a small plane before as a kid in Fairview, OK during a penny a pound ride. I was so small I couldn't see much and couldn't get out of the seatbelt to even look. In fact, you couldn't even convince me we had been flying. It felt like we were just going fast across the ground. I just remember it was noisy and rough with little seat padding in the back. I could take it or leave it at that time.

While working in Kiowa, KS I met a guy at the airport that had both the first and last Cessna 152's ever built. He took me up in the newer one just to fly around looking for a combine he had leased out. While up there he told me to put my feet on the pedals and hands on the wheel and "just follow along" and don't do anything. I did so. Then he started pointing out all the instruments and throttle and engine carburetor control and heat this and cooling that with his hands. Every time he pointed something out I'm looking at the instrument not his hands.

He was still talking to me when he folded his arms and i was looking out the windshield keeping my horizon line where he told me and I suddenly realized I'm flying the plane! He taught me to do a 2 degree bank and maintaining altitude. He taught me how to slow it down and speed it up. and how to descend and climb. I was even on the controls "following" him while we landed. From then on, I had the flying bug. Maybe that is why I volunteered to be on the Jaycee airshow committee every year.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Piper & Baxter in airplane.jpg

My pups and I

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to say one of coolest things I got to do in my life was own an airplane. Aviation has been in my blood since I was a kid (my Dad used to fly for Eastern back in the day). Dad had a Stinson in the garage and it was a delight to play in it as a kid...I bet I logged 1,500 hours of time in that garage. Sadly, when I moved from Texas to Georgia, it was simply too expensive of a hobby so I sold it. When I still had it, whenever I had a bad day, a few laps around the patch would make all my worries disappear. Here's what it looked like the day I sold it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 102

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to say I'd give my right one to be shot off a carrier in an F-14 and my left one to land again with all the big parts still onboard.

During an airshow I was talking to an F-14 driver while we were at lunch. He was explaining a carrier landing at night. He said it was like jumping off a chair in your living room hitting a postage stamp in the middle of the floor with your tongue after turning the lights out.

Last edited:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember these guys? I got to ride with them back in '88.

Red Baron.jpg

Then, in '93, one of the Thunderbirds broke down while at an open house at Vance AFB, and shared our hangar for about a week. Top photo is signed by all of their aircrew and bottom pic is signed by part of their maintenance crew.

TBirds1.jpg

TBirds2.jpg

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember these guys? I got to ride with them back in '88.

View attachment 149181

Then, in '93, one of the Thunderbirds broke down while at an open house at Vance AFB, and shared our hangar for about a week. Top photo is signed by all of their aircrew and bottom pic is signed by part of their maintenance crew.

View attachment 149182

View attachment 149183

Red Barons '94.jpg

Yep This one was '94 and I have another either from '93 or '95 can't remember. I know one of the times the pilot I flew with was one of the ones that died in the crash that shut the Red Barons down

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think we have kinda hijacked this thread! I have thousands of pics from all the times at Oshkosh, once at Sun & Fun and many other airshows. I used to be President of Oklahoma Pilots Association years ago. We took GA planes to Will Rogers several times for the Aerospace America.

Latest posts

Top Bottom