DOJ Reaches Settlement On Publication of Files About 3D Printed Firearms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://hardware.slashdot.org/story...ublication-of-files-about-3d-printed-firearms

Those who remember Cody Wilson and Defense Distributed -- the self-described cryptoanarchist and his organization that published plans for 3D printable firearm parts, respectively -- also remember that not long after the plans for the printable Liberator single-shot pistol hit the web, the Department of State seized the Defense Distributed website and prohibited Wilson from publishing 3D printable firearm plans, claiming violations of ITAR -- the International Traffic in Arms Regulation, a U.S. law taxing and restricting the distribution of a wide variety of physical goods listed as having military value. Slashdot covered the website seizure here (the Department of Defense was initially misreported in sources to have been the agency responsible).

In both a First and Second Amendment win, the Second Amendment Foundation has settled with the Department of State after suing on behalf of Defense Distributed. Slashdot reader schwit1 shares an excerpt from the report: "Under terms of the settlement, the government has agreed to waive its prior restraint against the plaintiffs, allowing them to freely publish the 3-D files and other information at issue. The government has also agreed to pay a significant portion of the plaintiffs' attorney's fees, and to return $10,000 in State Department registration dues paid by Defense Distributed as a result of the prior restraint. Significantly, the government expressly acknowledges that non-automatic firearms up to .50-caliber -- including modern semi-auto sporting rifles such as the popular AR-15 and similar firearms -- are not inherently military."​

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be interested in the real clarification on how its not ITAR restricted. I've recently looked at the list of what makes stuff ITAR restricted and its pretty broad.
According to one of the posts in the thread, it looks like a procedural change more than a substantive change, and export restrictions could easily be reimposed under a different statute.

I have not sufficiently researched the issue to assess that statement.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little follow-up:

https://www.breitbart.com/big-gover...l&utm_term=down-range&utm_campaign=20180726dr
Government Admits AR-15s Are Not Weapons of War
by AWR Hawkins 23 Jul 2018

"In its settlement with Cody Wilson’s Defense Distributed the government admitted that semi-automatic firearms below .50 caliber are not weapons of war."...

…"The federal government now saying semi-automatic firearms below .50 caliber are not inherently military means that they are admitting that rifles like the AR-15 are civilian in nature. This makes perfect sense, as they existed years before the military adopted the fully automatic version."...

Last edited:

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not sure what the issue is here with 3-D printers per se. I can already produce a gun for myself via other means, so how is this different?
Now, if I choose to produce a hundred guns and try to sell them then I am in violation of other laws regarding selling firearms, at that point prosecute me.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not sure what the issue is here with 3-D printers per se. I can already produce a gun for myself via other means, so how is this different?
Now, if I choose to produce a hundred guns and try to sell them then I am in violation of other laws regarding selling firearms, at that point prosecute me.
Remember the mantra when the G17 first hit the market? It's like that. A big ballyhoo about an absolute lie. CBS was running a story on how anyone can just print their own AR15 rifle just this morning. Last I checked you can't print molten alloyed aluminum or chrome moly steel. But I guess you really can, it was on the news...

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

Exactly. Own a drill press? You can make an AR-15 lower from an 80%. In fact, with some creativity, you could make a "functioning" AR-15 lower raw material with a drill press and regular shop tools.

Still not going to be the choice of common criminals. Too time intensive and/or costly. And long-game terrorists can obtain them legally from a gun store.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is official NRA position on 3d printed guns?

3d printers are improving rapidly and they even have 3d metal printers now.
If you can print your own gun you might not buy it from a manufacturer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom