Don Hume J Frame IWB holster review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm, I was hoping it would ride lower, which is why I got it over the clip version. I haven't compared my snap on 715 to a clip on 715 for the K frame guns though.

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive owned 2 of those same model and color.Not bad holster for under $30 and I can find em locally at medlocks.. I Bought one specifically from them to take the clip off one to use as a Pocket holster..The leather is alot harder than some of the other brands Ive used even with time it seems hume stuff leather is really stiff. Btw, How come you dont load up the speedstrip with 6 rounds instead of the five?

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 715 for a J-frame, and think the design is terrible. It rides too high, and the clip has very poor retention.

The gun does ride a little high but a J frame is so short there really much choice. As for the clip, as another poster stated, to get the most out of it you need a belt that almost exactly fills the space (thickness and width) of the clip.

I will let anyone send me a version with the loops to review :) and I will send it back after I am through.

BC

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ADDENDUM #2 (Performance)

I spent the whole day wearing the Don Hume 715 clip whilst chain sawing trees down and loading them into the trailer, driving the four-wheeler around, unloading wood into a burn pile, etc. Lots of reaching, bending and on and off the 4-wheeler. The only thing the holster ever did was tilt a little on my belt but never even came close to trying to come off.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the holster "seeks" its most stable position on the waistband. Mine canted just a little forward with all of the activity but didn't do anything else except carry my snubbie like it was supposed to.

I think I might change my rating to 4.5 hollowpoints. I don't think the belt straps would have performed any better. I'm not sure if it would have moved any more had I had to grapple around on the ground with one of the trees but luckily they all went down without much trouble.

I am no sure what would make a perfect 5 rating, maybe if it was canted a little to begin with.

BC

P97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one and the Clip fit the belt. I was wearing it in a Crowded Cafeteria and Stood up at a table and the holster went bouncing across the floor with the gun in it. They make a good quality holster, but you couldn't give me one with a clip if I had to wear it. The Belt loops would probably be Ok. I now use a Milt Sparks VM2 and haven't had any kind of problem with it. Not running down the Don Hume Holsters, but the Clip is not secure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom