Don't know what I oughta' get.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm soon going to get rid of my Ruger Mk2 pistol so I can get the money to get one of these three .22LR guns.
My choices are:

1) Beretta U22 Neos 4.5" (w/ carbine kit)
2) Ruger SR22 Rifle
3) S&W M&P15-22

I'm not sure what would be a good .22LR to get.
I know a good amount about the U22 Neos and I do like that.
I don't really know anything about the SR22 rifle.
I know about the M&P15-22 since it's an AR but in .22LR.

So if anyone knows anything about these let me know like what you like/dislike about them, what you think would be better, etc.
Because the only .22LR rifle I have is my dad's old left handed Remington 581.

I know if I end up with either the SR22 or M&P15-22 I'm gonna' change out the stocks and pistol grips, I've never been a fan of the plain jane military styled parts.
Plus I'm gonna have some sort of red dot on them.

I like the U22 Neos because of the fact I can change it between a pistol and carbine, but I can't change out as much stuff on it as I can like with the other two rifles.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I won't bore you with the details of what you must have read already on the many 15-22 threads out there. But, if you get one, it's a lead pipe cinch you'd better have access to a lot of .22 lr ammo. They are fun to shoot. And, unless you're just of a mind to, you don't have to mod a thing about them. Spend all your money for mags and ammo.

Last edited:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SR-22 is just a 10/22 dressed up like an AR-15... its main draw is that you can use AR-15 buttstocks, pistol grips, amd sights/optics on it. it would probably be my last choice out of those you list... it doesn't offer that much over the base 10/22 to justify the higher price tag they want IMO. If you wanted a 10/22 based project, I think you could have a lot cooler rifle getting a base 10/22 and spending that extra money on mods of your choice.

The M&P is pretty cool. Lots of people like theirs. It is a blowback .22 that has the same controls as an AR (which I prefer over the controls of a 10/22). It also takes AR stocks, pistol grips, and optics. I would caution you here though, as S&W has terrible customer service in my experience.

On to the Neos carbine... aarond on here let me shoot his once at an Appleseed, and it was pure awesomeness. It is super light amd compact, handles like a friggin Uzi, and is a blast to shoot. Not quite like anything else out there. Alas a tack driver it is not, but it doesn't sound like you're trying to buy a bench gun. It would make a fantastic walking around gun, and is plenty accurate for head shots on squirrels and bunnies from reasonable distances. I'm thinking with a little work I could shoot an Expert score with it on Appleseed's Army Qual Test. Anyway, that would be my choice out of the 3 you mentioned... mostly just for the novelty/cool factor, and being so much fun to shoot.

Oh and of course, whatever you end up getting (or even if you don't get anything at all), COME TO AN APPLESEED! The Oklahoma schedule is posted here: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=OK&statename=Oklahoma

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I would keep the mk2 they are good little guns and save up for a 22 rifle. I'm with hensch on gettingn a 10/22 they are cheap and parts are abundant, you can through it into a stock that accepts ar buttstocks.

Or you could always get a dedicated 22 upper for your ar and let that gun run double duty.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SR-22 is just a 10/22 dressed up like an AR-15... its main draw is that you can use AR-15 buttstocks, pistol grips, amd sights/optics on it. it would probably be my last choice out of those you list... it doesn't offer that much over the base 10/22 to justify the higher price tag they want IMO. If you wanted a 10/22 based project, I think you could have a lot cooler rifle getting a base 10/22 and spending that extra money on mods of your choice.

The M&P is pretty cool. Lots of people like theirs. It is a blowback .22 that has the same controls as an AR (which I prefer over the controls of a 10/22). It also takes AR stocks, pistol grips, and optics. I would caution you here though, as S&W has terrible customer service in my experience.

On to the Neos carbine... aarond on here let me shoot his once at an Appleseed, and it was pure awesomeness. It is super light amd compact, handles like a friggin Uzi, and is a blast to shoot. Not quite like anything else out there. Alas a tack driver it is not, but it doesn't sound like you're trying to buy a bench gun. It would make a fantastic walking around gun, and is plenty accurate for head shots on squirrels and bunnies from reasonable distances. I'm thinking with a little work I could shoot an Expert score with it on Appleseed's Army Qual Test. Anyway, that would be my choice out of the 3 you mentioned... mostly just for the novelty/cool factor, and being so much fun to shoot.

Oh and of course, whatever you end up getting (or even if you don't get anything at all), COME TO AN APPLESEED! The Oklahoma schedule is posted here: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=OK&statename=Oklahoma

My dad has already talked to me about Appleseed, we might go, more than likely we will go as long as we have the money.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously,,,
I wish you good luck.

It is an awesome little carbine,,,
The most fun rimfire semi I've ever owned.

I was on a waiting list for over 5 months to get mine.

I haven't seen them in stock for over a year now.

I can't find the kit on the Beretta website,,,
They might be a discontinued item.

Aarond

Latest posts

Top Bottom