Dual sport bikes... Who has them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been really interested in getting a dual sport bike and as of now I think I have narrowed it down to the Kawasaki klr650. Of course I would really like the BMW 800gs adventure but I can buy (3) KLRs for the price of the beemer. I figure ill probably get my feet wet with the klr and when it comes time for the trek to Alaska, upgrade to the BMW.

What has anyone else had experience with? My only draw back it that most of the 650s are single cylinder and from what I hear they vibrate a lot at highway speeds?

Suzuki dr650, Honda xr650l, Yamaha tenere, BMW...? The Suzuki versys looks too much road bike for some of the places I'd like to take it.

I don't think there is a Ktm dealer here in Tulsa but have heard some good things about them as well.

Any experiences appreciated.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Suzuki has a 400 and a couple have 250s. The Tenere is mostly road bike. You can even go with Yamaha's fat tired 200.

The Versys is a Kawasaki.

The Suzuki V-Strom 650 is similar to the Versys.

Last edited:

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would get the beemer, but thats just me. That is an awesome bike. I would like to purchase one eventually for our trips to Colorado. Yes I know they cost more, we just purchased a 1600GT and I could have bought 2 Concours's for the same price, but you just cant beat the beemer.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one for a couple of years. It was a Honda and nothing fancy, but I had a blast with it. I have thought about getting another to haul up to the mountains for trail rides.

bboswell

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buddy of mine has owned most of the BMW & KTM models. PM if you want his contact info. He is type to research extensively before buying, only buys best, then makes them perform. He can tell you what really works best for riding in OK, CO, UT & NM.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I read a magazine article back in '04 that compared the KLR650, Dr650, and whatever dual yamaha puts out. It agreed with you, the KLR did a little better on the hardcore trails, and the suzuki did better on the road, and the yamaha came in last every time. If I remember correct, the suzuki is lighter, narrower, and had a little more get up and go. The overall impression I got was that the Suzuki was a better bike (but I'm a brand loyalist and I might have been hoping for that)
I think you'd be pleased with either, and unless you're a professional rider (i'm not) I imagine you'd never notice the difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom