Duck guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Benelli Super Nova is the ultimate waterfowl pumpgun. If you can get by with 3" shells AND the stock fits you just get the Nova. I've got 2 different Benelli shotguns and I am sold on their quality.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned an 835, a nova and a 870 supermag. All 3 were good guns for me. For some reason the 870's trigger guard would do a number on my index finger, but the gun shot fine.
I like auto-loaders, so am currently shooting a Winchester sx3. If I had to pick from the 3 pumps mentioned, I'd probably go with the Benelli. They all 3 run about the same price, I shot the nova the best.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great responses everyone. Thanks.
I'm finding some great prices on used Novas. Might have to go for one of those if it fits my small frame......I mean massive, muscular, intimidating frame.
:laughup:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My O/U decided it wanted to fire both barrels at once this morning when the first round of geese came it....that speck never knew what hit it! An issue you won't have to worry about with a pump or semi auto. 3 Oz of steel did the trick.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My O/U decided it wanted to fire both barrels at once this morning when the first round of geese came it....that speck never knew what hit it! An issue you won't have to worry about with a pump or semi auto. 3 Oz of steel did the trick.

What did your shoulder think about that?

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Benelli SBE sitting next to me yesterday went 'click' instead of 'bang' at least 5 times. They are great guns but they aren't perfect. I would be happy to own one but be sure you know what you're getting into.

Google: the benelli click

I've had an 870, a Super Nova and am now shooting a Browning BPS. It's by far the best, most put together gun of the three IMHO. My 870 was an Express. If I got another 870 it would have to be a Wingmaster. I really liked the Super Nova but a buddy needed a gun and wanted it so I sold it to him. The BPS is trickier to clean so be aware of that but it doesn't really get dirty. I just run a snake down the barrel and wipe out inside the receiver a few times during the season then clean it once at the end of the season and it's good to go. Once you do it a couple of times it's not a big deal.

I'm sticking with the BPS: http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=011B&cid=012&tid=271

I've been shooting my BPS, factory modified choke, Remington Nitro Steel 2 3/4 #4 ($100/case on sale from Rogers Sporting Goods with free shipping and I needed them for my Rem 1100) all year and they've worked great. No issues at all with that combo. But I typically like 3" #2s.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The Benelli SBE sitting next to me yesterday went 'click' instead of 'bang' at least 5 times. They are great guns but they aren't perfect. I would be happy to own one but be sure you know what you're getting into.

Google: the benelli click

I've had an 870, a Super Nova and am now shooting a Browning BPS. It's by far the best, most put together gun of the three IMHO. My 870 was an Express. If I got another 870 it would have to be a Wingmaster. I really liked the Super Nova but a buddy needed a gun and wanted it so I sold it to him. The BPS is trickier to clean so be aware of that but it doesn't really get dirty. I just run a snake down the barrel and wipe out inside the receiver a few times during the season then clean it once at the end of the season and it's good to go. Once you do it a couple of times it's not a big deal.

I'm sticking with the BPS: http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=011B&cid=012&tid=271

I've been shooting my BPS, factory modified choke, Remington Nitro Steel 2 3/4 #4 ($100/case on sale from Rogers Sporting Goods with free shipping and I needed them for my Rem 1100) all year and they've worked great. No issues at all with that combo. But I typically like 3" #2s.

X2 on Rogers with free shipping.............3" #2's here as well.

jhoppis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a 835 to hunt with this season and it has been the worst gun I have ever bought. I have had several miss fires and it not loading the next shell after it does shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom