Duck hunter VS. Bow hunter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieboomer1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One to laugh on....

I was scouting a new waterfowl location during the remaining days of early teal season, ran across a bow hunter putting out feed...I was informed that it was illegal to bring decoys in that area. He informed me that I should park at the end of the road, and walk 400 yards east to a prime duck location....the end of the road was very heavily posted, and there was no way I was going to hit water within 400 yrds. I was able to confirm that I was correct in my initial location; even with decoys, via a game ranger...ahhh those sneaky bow hunters...I'll be sure and say good morning on my way to the duck blind.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never understood the beef between duck and bow hunters. Both could mutually help each other since neither are concerned with each other's game.

I try to talk to bow hunters in a friendly way when hunting/scouting for water fowl and it is usually mutually friendly but every now and then someone wants to be a jerk about it.

Funny thing is, I've seen deer while duck hunting a lot and it usually sounded like WWII - didn't seem to bother them at all.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never understood the beef between duck and bow hunters. Both could mutually help each other since neither are concerned with each other's game.

I try to talk to bow hunters in a friendly way when hunting/scouting for water fowl and it is usually mutually friendly but every now and then someone wants to be a jerk about it.

Funny thing is, I've seen deer while duck hunting a lot and it usually sounded like WWII - didn't seem to bother them at all.

Bowhunting, by it's very nature, is a "alone" sport. There is no place for crowds, because the more people out there in that area, the more noise, and more scent, to drive the deer away or make them totally nocturnal. At least this it the mind set of every bowhunter I've ever known or met. And bowhunters go thru great pains just to get into a position to be within 10-20 yards to get a shot. A lot of prep can be easily blown by an "intruder" to the area.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I duck hunt and bow hunt. I would have done the same thing if I were that bow hunter. I would probably be relatively pissed when I am on the stand before daybreak and someone comes humping down the trail with decoys and a dog and a couple of buddies. As a duck hunter, if I knew someone was in there on the stand, I'd go around. For one reason, I don't want some chowder head stickin an arrow through my dog if she's runnin ahead of me or something. And there are some sorry people that would do it.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bowhunting, by it's very nature, is a "alone" sport. There is no place for crowds, because the more people out there in that area, the more noise, and more scent, to drive the deer away or make them totally nocturnal. At least this it the mind set of every bowhunter I've ever known or met. And bowhunters go thru great pains just to get into a position to be within 10-20 yards to get a shot. A lot of prep can be easily blown by an "intruder" to the area.

I understand that, but like I said, I've seen deer at a lot of the places where a lot of booming was going on and it didn't seem to bother the deer too much at all. If anything it was numbing them to it since none of it was directed at them or harming them.

Not saying that's always the case, but on the other hand, I'd be pissed if I was going into a public hunting area with a lot of ducks there and some "intruder" was telling me that I couldn't be there because he was there (and making up laws and mis-directing me with lies).

Seems like some of the prep work a bow hunter could do is make sure that the area he/she was in isn't a haven for water fowl.

There are a lot more places to hunt deer in OK than ducks. Don't get me wrong, I'm no jerk - if I see someone in a stand or know of someone who is bow-hunting, I do what I can to avoid the area, but courtesy works both ways and being territorial about something by lying about laws and such isn't a good example of that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom