Duck hunting near Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know of some decent duck hunting on public land near Tulsa?

I got a killer deal on a beater Model 12 Heavy Duck (ugly but shoots nice) and I imagine that some roast duck will taste good when the season rolls around.

That reminds me; if anyone has some recommendations for good non-toxic shot that won't tear up an old gun barrel (I'm leery of putting steel or tungsten through a 83-year-old gun) I'd be extremely grateful.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The question of what non-toxic shot to use is interesting. The gun almost certainly was built with a full choke. Not good for steel. Hope somebody who knows answers this question. I'd be calling the ammo mfg if it were my gun.

jej

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bismith, buddy uses a full/mod coke LC Smith & uses bismith

Thanks. Know anything about Hevi-Shot?

jej said:
The question of what non-toxic shot to use is interesting. The gun almost certainly was built with a full choke. Not good for steel. Hope somebody who knows answers this question. I'd be calling the ammo mfg if it were my gun.

jej

Yeah it's full choke. I understand that modern full-choke barrels shoot steel fine because they're designed to work with the harder non-deforming shot, but that simply wasn't the case in 1927.

Model 12s are fine examples of early 20th century American design and manufacturing, and thus are nigh-indestructible, but I don't want to risk it.

mholloway79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For decent duck hunting (next year) try to get into the raffle on Claremore city lake. They have permanent blinds that get raffled off at the beginning of each season.

I went several years ago and we did well.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand that modern full-choke barrels shoot steel fine because they're designed to work with the harder non-deforming shot, but that simply wasn't the case in 1927.

What is considered "modern"? Anything post 1980? Post 2000? I have LONG wanted a Belgium Browning A5 to add to my very small arsenal, but would have second thoughts if steel shot would harm the barrel. Is this only for steel in a FULL choke?

Another question. When did 3" shell guns come about? Are there any Belgium Browning A5 w/ 3" capacity?

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is considered "modern"? Anything post 1980? Post 2000? I have LONG wanted a Belgium Browning A5 to add to my very small arsenal, but would have second thoughts if steel shot would harm the barrel. Is this only for steel in a FULL choke?

Another question. When did 3" shell guns come about? Are there any Belgium Browning A5 w/ 3" capacity?

Not sure about the age of 3" shells, but I know there are old guns with 3" chambers dating back to at least the mid 30s.

The rule of thumb I've heard is "if it has choke tubes, it's good for steel," but of course ask a good gunsmith first.

Latest posts

Top Bottom