Duck Hunting this week

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Itchin to get out on the lake but my weekends keep getting in the way. Think I'm gonna head into work a little late one morning and try to get something in this week. Can anyone recommend a good waterfowling lake somewhat close to Tulsa? Was looking at Lake Sooner, but its a bit far. I'm hoping to stay within an hours drive.....

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have good luck up around the north end of Oolagah when I lived up in that God forsaken place. There is quite a bit of public places to go, but it may take some scouting, and it may not fall within your hour drive coming from BA.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have good luck up around the north end of Oolagah when I lived up in that God forsaken place. There is quite a bit of public places to go, but it may take some scouting, and it may not fall within your hour drive coming from BA.

thats what I was afraid of. heard oolagah has some decent places to go. If its worth it, I'll trek it up there. Is north end the best in your experience?

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was pretty much my ONLY experience. There is nothing down on the south end to my knowledge. There is a lot of flooded timber and such on the northern side. Of course as dry as it is has been, a lot of the flooded timber may be dry. I don't keep up with the NE lake reports now, so you may check them to see what the current level of the lake is. Hugo lake down here is 5 or 6 ft below normal, so that kills a lot of the huntin. I want a freakin flood upstream to raise the water!

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was pretty much my ONLY experience. There is nothing down on the south end to my knowledge. There is a lot of flooded timber and such on the northern side. Of course as dry as it is has been, a lot of the flooded timber may be dry. I don't keep up with the NE lake reports now, so you may check them to see what the current level of the lake is. Hugo lake down here is 5 or 6 ft below normal, so that kills a lot of the huntin. I want a freakin flood upstream to raise the water!

If you don't mind me asking, was it better on the big water or on the streams flowing down? Lot of property up there, and without much time to scout I'm trying to gather all the quick info I can.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...67262&z=12&saddr=tulsa&daddr=Oologah+Lake,+OK

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Possibly a dumb question, but should I not even consider waterfowl hunting without a dog, or are there other solutions?

I'd like to get into waterfowl hunting, but don't have the room for a dog at home.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Possibly a dumb question, but should I not even consider waterfowl hunting without a dog, or are there other solutions?

I'd like to get into waterfowl hunting, but don't have the room for a dog at home.

Waders are for sure the way to go - with or without a dog.

When I go without the dog, I don't shoot anything further out than I can walk, Find a large area of shallow water, and use a choke appropriate for how far I'm willing to shoot.

Dog makes it 100 times easier and 100 times more fun, but its doable without one.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some pics from this weekend

ai56.tinypic.com_351sp3a.gif

ai55.tinypic.com_2hn8db6.jpg

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, was it better on the big water or on the streams flowing down? Lot of property up there, and without much time to scout I'm trying to gather all the quick info I can.

I never really hunted the big water myself, so I can't honestly say. Right after you cross over the Verdigris heading east, there are some holes on the north side of the road there that are mediocre. If you drive back a little further on some of those roads you can do a little better. Best spots I found were south of 60 in all of the timber. If you zoom in on that map, there is a road that goes south and it is marked N4190 Rd. You can make it down it, but it is a rough sumbitch. There are lots of little potholes and sloughs off to the sides of it depending on water level. You just really need to go in the daylight at least one time to mark those spots on a GPS so you can find them in the dark. That's about all the help I can give ya man, I hadn't lived there in a few years or it would be fresher on my mind. And another reason I hated living up there... the huntin sucked!

Latest posts

Top Bottom