Electric fence install around food plot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really want to do a food plot on my lease in Marshall, but LO has some cattle. Before I spend a bunch of money and time, are these fences pretty reliable and easy to install? I’ve been reading about them and watching YouTube, so I think it should be ok putting it in. I also don’t own a tractor so I’m going to have to find someone that can till up an acre or 2 so I can plant some wheat.

I have my 2 feeders surround by barbwire I ran last year, and really don’t wanna drive a whole bunch of Tpost in the ground again for an electric fence if it’s not going to keep the cows out or get knocked down by a deer jumping in.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you've got feeders up and protected from cattle you probably have all you need to attract deer.
The wheat would be great, but it may not be worth the trouble in the case you describe. God will feed your deer for you.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I looked into a hot wire this year. Would be around $200 whether I did a feeder or a food plot. I’m going to run my tposts and barb wire until the cows knock it down. We put a cell cam on it and the cows are all around it but haven’t messed with the wire yet.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used electric fence with livestock for several years, and all animals don't react the same.

Once bitten, some won't cross the area until the fence has been removed for a good while. Others will push through as soon as it goes dead.

If a deer gets shocked, they may or may not return.

Just a thought.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve used hot wire with cows for almost 30 years, MY cows have always respected it. I’ve got a hot wire around my yard and running down my 1/2 mile driveway now. It keeps the cows out, but I see deer hop over it all the time.

Personally, given the OP’s situation, I wouldn’t mess with it and just keep using feeders and feeder pens.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info and replies. The LO south of us didn’t plant wheat last year and we saw a big drop in deer numbers, along with a few other factors so we were just trying to give the deer a reason to visit our place more often. Sounds like we will stick with the feeders and just throw some wheat inside of that fenced area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom