Dove Hunting and Sunflower Fields - First Time Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother can’t keep deer or pigs out of his garden each year, and he has a 5 or 6 wire hot wire that I think is 8’ tall at the top wire.
I have planted sunflowers In my gardens here at the house every year. This year is the first time I have actually had flowers. The deer would eat them every time while still young plants. This year I put up some ‘trip’ string ( Strong fishing line) with tin cans on each end. It has worked great. I guess it startles them enough that the go elsewhere. The birds are harvesting the seed heads now.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if your electric fence isn't keeping deer or especially hogs out then you need to check your construction methods. hogs hate electric fences but deer can jump over so that is a little different. sticking a rusty metal post in the ground for an earth stake is the most common failure.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
here is a fairly useful set that i have used for several years. there are more resilient methods than this but it isn't that bad either. the reels with good braided multi conductor tinned copper conductors along with non conductive posts make a very resilient fence that can be put up easy and the removed and stored in a tub, the poly braided cord will flex and stretch if a deer gets into it so it pops back up. once they get zapped a few times they usually move on. but one side effect might be that it can be hard to get them back into the area after they become accustomed to it being there.

https://store.am.gallagher.com/am/u...in-one-portable-fences/smart-fence-2/p/G70000

Latest posts

Top Bottom