Electro Fishing Survey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Like these, only a plain brown wrapper.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_2015_06_07_22_34_02__425463700_zpsfybzufmd.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Capacitors store charge or potential, which equates to voltage. In a sense, you have a single cell battery.
Some of the old timers called them batteries. They store that charge, and can discharge it all at once for a pretty good shock.

Edit: we Cross posted.

Capacitors look exactly the same in some instances. Electrolytic capacitors come in packages from 1/4" high to 55 gallon drum size.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Electrolytic capacitor. I heard they use or used them back in the day with the poachers using the electrofishing rigs. They can certainly be charged with batteries just like the ones in your pic. I don't know how they had them configured.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433735066.870436.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the ODWC sometimes will survey private ponds. Maybe one of the members on here will chime in. I think he helped survey a few private ponds. I am not sure he checks the General Discussion area, usually just Hunting and Fishing.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just looked it up. It does appear it was AC voltage. I was about 10 years old or so. LOL. I figured it was DC as back when I did communications work in the Army, ring down voltage was 90VDC.

Later down the road, the voltage was reduced to 48 VDC.

I started life as a telephone switch tech: Ring voltage = 90VAC Talk battery = -48VDC

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I was a kid, they called it Telephoning. They used old hand cranked phones to charge wires lowered into the water to stun the fish and bring them to the top. In the 1990's some enterprising soul came up with a device based off of a pacemaker. It worked much better as you hooked the device to a regular car battery and delivered a much greater jolt to the fish. The outlaw fisherman here on lake Texoma used them a lot. I was approached by a gentleman, now deceased, with the schematic and parts list for the device, and a proposal to make them ( I have a background in electronics). At the time the parts to build the device was less than 10 bucks, and he was selling them for a couple of hundred. I did a little research and found out what the fines and penalties were for manufacturing the device, if it was used to illegally capture fish. I politely declined, because as my sister once told me, " Your to pretty to go to jail". I'll bet if you googled pacemaker fishing you could probably find the schematics online. As long as you used it on your own property to electro survey your pond, you probably wouldn't have a problem with the Game Rangers. You wouldn't want to throw it in your tackle box and be caught out on the lake or river with it.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a side note, I tried the hand crank phone approach as a kid of 9 or 10 years old after hearing my uncles talk about it. Not sure how well they did but I found it to be way too painful to be considered a viable alternative to a fishing pole. I was in the pond about knee deep when I gave the first good crank. Never made it to the second crank. They were obviously a lot tougher than I was, or maybe they had a boat??

LMAO...It's funny now but not so much when it happened.

Latest posts

Top Bottom