Eliminating media footprint.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Idk Steelfingers, I think what you leave behind may help someone. It won't matter to you if it does or not, will it? There's some sort of song bout it's not what ya take when ya leave this world behind ya, it's whatcha leave when ya go.
Yep. I've got all my passwords for every site I visit in a neat little notebook for my kids to have when I go. They can make the decision about what to do.
Wife and I have been doing some major cleaning of closets and file cabinets since we are both retired. I came on to a file of every job resume I've ever written, all of the school certificates from industrial classes I've attended, and electrical/electronic designs that I developed and implemented over my entire working career. Wife said toss em, but I got to thinking that my kids really never knew what I actually did for a living. They knew I had a job and I worked and got paid at XXXX. I want them to go through the papers and make that decision to toss them. Its family history.
Remember cleaning out my folks house drawer by drawer when they passed away and seeing things that my sister and I never knew happened while we were growing up. Mom was a meticulous record keeper. She literally had old time cards of ours when kids, hand written notes of why we were disciplined when growing up, and the list goes on.
It was like going back in time and some very emotional moments when we discovered some things, so NO, I don't want to wipe out my history, I want my kids to read it, view it, and then they can close that chapter.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Under Oklahoma law, your "digital presence" is part of your estate, so you should make plans for what to do with it as a part of your estate. I don't know that I'd just go deleting everything, but you should make your wishes known, just like you'd do with anything else in your estate, so I'll definitely give you props for doing that.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The most significant thing about me when I pass may be the photos that I've taken. Obviously, once the wife and I are gone and the online photo hosting site doesn't get paid, those will be gone as well.

i'm guessing, if you look around, there are probably some groups that would accept them and archive them. Maybe it's a university library, maybe it's a conservation group in one of the areas your photographed. Point is, someone will likely accept them and maintain them after you're gone if you can find that right group

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This isn't directed at any one person, but in a land of 330,000,000+ people, when you are gone...most folks are not going to care. Sure, immediate family and a few close friends will miss you and wish you were still around...and yes, even want to remember the "good old days" but within a couple of generations, you will be nothing more than forgotten.

When my Dad passed, I spent a number of weeks going through his home and dealing with all the "stuff" left behind. Since our family is so small, most of the family history was in his house and you know what? I couldn't identify people in 90% of the pictures that he had. Is it sad? Certainly. Is it a fact of life and death? Yep. These days I try to keep my online presence at a minimum, but it's very hard to do...but when I am dead and gone? I could care less what's left out there.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps. I know how many times my wife kept listening to our daughters voice message on her phone till I had to stop her. I don't want her doing the same with me and YouTube Vids. Maybe it's a silly idea.
It just came to me that this is stuff I would have to delete too. Ha:homer:

My wife gets great comfort from going back and watching vids and rereading old texts from dead loved ones. My want to leave your wife access and let her make that decision.

okmedic

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Look up Facebook and the CIA project LifeLog. Pay close attention to the date that LifeLog ended and Facebook began. Facebook/Zucherburg is a CIA operation. And I’m pretty sure that Twatter is also. I have both but neither has any of my actual personal info. They are all fake names and all fake info. I do a bit of trolling on both [emoji16]. I love irritating liberals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom