Energy company locks thermostats at +80 degrees for 22,000 customers during ‘energy crisis’

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the old fashioned thermostat and I always will
Until “they” pass legislation making it illegal to not have a smart thermostat. Easily enforceable too, if they can get the legislation through.

A few years ago we would’ve laughed at the thought of that…now it’s an election or two away from being reality.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Until “they” pass legislation making it illegal to not have a smart thermostat. Easily enforceable too, if they can get the legislation through.

A few years ago we would’ve laughed at the thought of that…now it’s an election or two away from being reality.
Quite frankly they can shove their legislation up their A$$, I would install solar panels on every inch of this roof before I let them legislate what temperature my home needs to be. However I have a sinking suspicion they don’t need legislation to this end they can manipulate our energy costs to control our usage. I the winter though I would be set I can live with the thermostat on 50 to be honest. Hoodie up and keep my thermals on

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quite frankly they can shove their legislation up their A$$, I would install solar panels on every inch of this roof before I let them legislate what temperature my home needs to be. However I have a sinking suspicion they don’t need legislation to this end they can manipulate our energy costs to control our usage. I the winter though I would be set I can live with the thermostat on 50 to be honest. Hoodie up and keep my thermals on
Solar panels wouldn’t be enough (not to mention the massive expense it would require to run HVAC 24/7 from solar) because precedence has been set, in some locales, that they can compel you to be connected to the grid.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Solar panels wouldn’t be enough (not to mention the massive expense it would require to run HVAC 24/7 from solar) because precedence has been set, in some locales, that they can compel you to be connected to the grid.
This is true in cities as a house with no electricity can be condemned as "unlivable". Though if they tried that with me I would take them to court and ask how humanity survived until electricity was a mainstay.

However, solar panels are enough during the day as most people "sell" their unused power back to the grid. It would be during cloudy days and at night that they would not be enough without a big battery rack to store excess energy.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is true in cities as a house with no electricity can be condemned as "unlivable". Though if they tried that with me I would take them to court and ask how humanity survived until electricity was a mainstay.

However, solar panels are enough during the day as most people "sell" their unused power back to the grid. It would be during cloudy days and at night that they would not be enough without a big battery rack to store excess energy.
Right, but in order to sell back to the grid, you have to be connected to the grid…and you’d need a large system to run a whole home HVAC during our hot summers.

My original point was it’s ridiculous easy for them to make smart thermostats a mandatory reality.

Latest posts

Top Bottom