Epic miss with my gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I flinched. I had a terrible flinch with my deer rifle for years developed from not wearing ear plugs and it kicked like a mule. I finally had a muzzle brake put on it and a decelerator recoil pad and it shoots like a dream now. And I learned to wear ear plugs when target practicing. Biggest buck I have ever had a shot at walked by about 200 yrds and I just flinched bad.

chefsamuel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I missed because..........it scared the *&$# out of me lol. I was 15 and living in eastern OK at the time. I got out of my stand around 11 and was walking back to the house, got a few steps and this behemouth (spelling?) of a buck blew at me. My heart felt like it went into overdrive. he had been standing behind me about in a sasafrass thicket. He took off through the trees about 40 yards and stopped for a second, and I took a shot at him open sight with my 30-30, but shot just low. I was shaking so bad I'm surprised I even got close lol.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last day of muzzleloader season, 2007.

Beuatiful day, though a little warm. I'm sitting on my favorite ridge top and have not seen any activity. 9:15 a.m., I'm in that state of half-consciousness I'm often in in the deer stand after a couple hours of silence when I'm jolted back to reality by what I can only imagine to be a herd of wildebeests running through the dry oak leaves down the ridge.

70 yards out I see a doe trot by. Antlers low to the ground behind her, close behind her. Big antlers, really big. Multiple tines, long G2's. They are moving fast, and I need to stand to get a better view. No way to shoot supported.

I stand up, level my muzzleloader in an opening through the trees. When he is almost to it, I almost scream "MEHHHH!!" to stop him. It works, he stops, doe keeps going. She is not interested in my screaming. He is standing there looking at me, vitals dead center in the lane when my open sighted muzzleloader goes off. Good, the suprise of the gun going off usually means I'm not going to screw it up. Perfect, this is too good.

I lose him in the smoke. I know I have the sumbitch down, I've made much harder shots no problem. Smoke clears, guess who is STANDING THERE LOOKING AT ME!!! Mr Bucky. He is looking for his doe, he could give a damn I just shot at him. I'm shaking like dog by this point, and it's all I can do to get that speedloader and load the gun. I probably lost 20 grains of powder from shaking. The whole time he is standing there looking around, even while I'm banging the aluminum ramrod around like a mad man, making all kinds of noise. Somewhere between putting the ramrod back in the stock and trying to cap it, I glance up to see him walking out of my life forever.

I shook like they just pulled me from a frozen lake. I couldn't even eat back at camp. Son.of. a.gun.

That's my epic miss.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well ive missed a few but not many....
last year muzzleloader i missed a decent 8pt i had half a million pics of and said i wasnt going to shoot. but last weekend of not seeing any shooters got to me, so he came by and stood in front of me but i wasnt going to shoot. well i changed my mind about the time i had to twist around like a circus freak to get on him and as i pulled the trigger i could see the top ofmy barrel.... ya i jerked my head up to watch the shot "clean miss"

then a few years before we had this godzilla buck run a doe past us while walking back to the truck, he stopped on the property next to us about 50yards from the fence and just looked at us. My buddy posted up on the fence but his dad said no it was on someone elses property. then the doe took off past us and he followed jumping the fence about 10feet from us. I swing my gun and miss twice as he ran full bore, then he stops about 100yards out right behind this brush and just looks at us. I could see the out line of his body and his head and neck. well i never thought about the clean neck shot i had, i just ran off 4 rounds while he stood looking at me trying to punch one throught the brush with my .243 .... ya right.... well he finally took off and i flung another but it was a clean miss as well

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was hunting a friend's land out in Major County. Muy Grande has been seen in the area. This deer was HUGE!!! 12 point typical, with tines so tall, he was easy to spot at over 500 yards.

I'm walking back to camp after an uneventful morning when I see him trot out across a field 600 yards away. I thought he would round the bend where the higher field went down and kind of formed a lower field. I hot trot it back the way I came, hoping to get a glimpse of him as I topped the small knoll in the middle of the field.

Well, he didn't cross all the way across the field. He had bedded down at the base of the higher field, where it meets the lower field. He stands up and looks right at me. He trots back where he came from, but stopped before jumping a fence. I'm using the terrain to get to within 300 yards of him. He's looking at me, I'm looking at him. I drop to a knee, shoulder my Browning .270, line the cross hairs up just behind his shoulder. I thumb off the safety, and slowly start to squeeze the trigger. And he's still looking my direction. I take a breath, hold it, and .......... click! ?????? WTF? I work the bolt ejecting what looks like a perfectly good Remington cartridge. Now this wasn't a cheap old Core-Lokt round (which, BTW, I'd never had problems with). It was one of their "premium" rounds.

About this time, buck fever kicks in. I furiously slam the bolt forward, chambering another round. I line up the sights on the buck again, amazed that he's still standing there. But the sense of urgency was now overtaking me. I fire, the buck hesitates for just a second, then he jumps the fence he's standing next to and heads back to my left, staying roughly 300 yards away. Now I've practiced shooting at 300 yards many, many times with this rifle. I knew how to dope the wind, and could hold 2 3/4" groups at that range. But, there's no way to practice shooting at a running animal at that distance, without shooting at a running animal. Needless to say, I missed a couple more times.

I was so frustrated! The buck of a lifetime, gone. And I never saw him again after that.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was the worlds greatest marksman I missed all the time. I turned into a lousy shot about twenty years ago. Now I think about what I do and I'm careful to never shoot off hand when I can kneel and to never kneel when I can sit. I haven't missed a shot since I realized how lousy I am. Knock on wood.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was 13. It is one of my uncles favorite stories. I was hunting in a very good stand on my grandpa's land. MY dad, my uncle, my grandfather, everyone had killed a deer out of this stand. So my uncle gets me up in it and tells me where to watch and be ready and he was going to his stand. About an hour later I hear a huge racket. All of a sudden 4 does burst out to my right and they are a movin. I proceeded to unload my lever action .243 in what to me seems like an eternity. I think it was 5 maybe 6 shots. All four does vanish into the timber. My uncle comes about 30 min later. He says "What the Hell... When did you get an automatic rifle. I didnt know anyone could work a bolt that fast. Did you get one." I was still shaking from the adrenaline dump and all I could say was "I dont know but the last one was limpin a little when it disappeared into the woods." My uncle replies "She prolly twisted her ankle dodgin your bullets." We looked but no blood, nothing.......

3 days later same stand same 4 does. This time my grandpa was in the stand with me. That last doe did not limp away. She was the first deer I killed.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's my epic miss

It was the first wednesday of rifle season when that rainy cold front came through when I had a haunting episode ..

I was hunting on my grandparents land , which was covered in scrapes and rubs. I had set in the general area the first weekend , but i had to be on the other side due to the wind.. First weekend I saw 5 does and a doe that was getting chased by a buck but i could never see the buck , I just heard him grunting , he never came out of the thick..

The small block of timber I decided to set in is borderd by a small draw that runs out to the west and two rye grass fields to the east. I had not step foot in those woods all season yet. I got up on a high point about 30 yards from where the really thick stuff was and set down up against a huge tree in my fold out hunting chair.
I was scanning the area looking out on those fields for anything and kinda day dreaming like I know all of you have done, when i turned my head slowly back to infront of me and there at 25yards was mack daddy buck.. he froze as i did too.. Then he started moving his head up and down trying to figure me out, all this time i was cocking my encore and tryin to figure out what the hell i was goin to do next.. about 10 seconds went by then he snorted and took off to the east.. I jumped up and drew down on him and started grunting loudly to get him to stop, Well he stopped, but to my luck he stopped right behind a fallen down dead cedar, there was a small hole about the size of a basketball that all i could see was his head and white patch on his neck, put the cross hairs on his white and shot, he took off and i never seen him again.. I looked for hours for blood, hair ect.. I walked the whole place out and never found anything.. If I would of hit him he would of dropped, 30-06 in the neck would drop him cold.. I figured that buck to be around a 140-150inch deer, from what i saw he was a big 8 or 10, dark rack, mass all the way out his main beams.. definatly would of been my biggest buck.. but heck, thats why we call it hunting...If we got them everytime it wouldnt be as fun..

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hunting up in the breaks NW of Alva on the KS line and was day dreaming and walking canyon rims mid-day. High up on a big canyon....roughly a hundred feet above the canyon floor and 175 yards or so horizontal distance....looking down I see an odd looking tree I had not see before (know the canyon very well). Then it got up an moved. Heart went from 0 to 100 right now. Simply shot under him. One of the biggest and oldest bucks I've seen out there.....you know....one of those deer that looks like his legs are about 8" long and the body looks like a 55 gallon drum. That was YEARS ago and I still ease up on that spot with my hearts racing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom