Estimated building costs ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm at $42/sq ft for the 24 x 30 extension on my barn. That's the pole barn complete with good windows and doors and a concrete floor. Added wall/ceiling insulation...used OSB board to cover the stud walls and the barn siding was used for the ceiling. All that added another $7/ sq ft. No water or septic but that could be added for another $12K or so...or another $17/ sq ft. All that adds to $66/ sq ft. Gotta figure some kind of heat/cool. A central ac/heater could be had for another $12-15K; another $20/ sq ft. Total now at approximately $86/ sq ft. Round it to $100/ sq ft to be safe.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm at $42/sq ft for the 24 x 30 extension on my barn. That's the pole barn complete with good windows and doors and a concrete floor. Added wall/ceiling insulation...used OSB board to cover the stud walls and the barn siding was used for the ceiling. All that added another $7/ sq ft. No water or septic but that could be added for another $12K or so...or another $17/ sq ft. All that adds to $66/ sq ft. Gotta figure some kind of heat/cool. A central ac/heater could be had for another $12-15K; another $20/ sq ft. Total now at approximately $86/ sq ft. Round it to $100/ sq ft to be safe.

Way way over kill! 12-15K for central heat and air? Did you not see he listed the cabin to be only 800 sq. ft. A wall unit and a space heater will be perfectly fine for that size of a cabin. In reality you should figure about $25.00-$60.00 a sq ft depend on home much of the work you do yourself, and how you finish the house out. If you are handy just do all the work you can yourself. You can save tons of money by using cheaper trim, fixtures, siding, etc...

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I did see the 800 sq ft. It's 80 sq ft bigger than my barn extension. I do agree the 12k is at the to for central heat and air, though. He can get a Mitsubishi Mr Slim heat/air for less than 5k. I also agree that doing work your self saves a lot. The concrete work for my barn was by far the single largest cost item.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you get a higher end carpenter it can easily run $115 /foot depending on how many guys they have,also how do you want it finished out? trim, stain, finish, do you want a small kitchen in it?, drywall?, texture, heat, AC? electricity? running water?, flooring?, I assume it is outside the city limits so you don't have to worry city permits which can easily run $300 plus depending on what the city wants, also what kind of building are you wanting? metal will last a long time (depends on the type of metal) but can also cost more than other types of siding, also depending on the foundation that could easily add $25/foot again depending on what you want and I agree with Wild Weasel on the 10% extra for the unseen obstacles My boss usually tells them to add 10-20% just in case something comes up, and if it is a ways out of the city you could have to pay drive time depending on where they are coming out of, In general open rooms are cheaper to build, interior walls can run $75 per linear foot if you want electricity in it about $60 per linear foot without, another thing to think of is appliances they can run the price up very quickly, doing it yourself is cheaper because you are not paying to support someone and or their family but on average it will take twice as long unless you know what you are doing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom