Our new house has mold behind one wall, looking for recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As the title says, our new to us house has a mold issue. Our inspector missed a leak that caused water to come in around the fireplace exit. The water ran down the wall, and in between the mantle and Sheetrock is just coated. As is part of the undersheath in the attic and I’m not sure what else. The house has a new roof so the water is no longer actively causing issues.

Anyway, as handy as I am, I think this needs a pro to demo and handle the mold. House is in Edmond, anyone have any recommendations on who can handle a project like this? Safety and future prevention is our main focus, but we aren’t rich unfortunately.

Also, anyone good with real estate law? :)

Attachments

• IMG_8449.png
    IMG_8449.png
    9.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8442.jpeg
    IMG_8442.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8441.jpeg
    IMG_8441.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yummy...black mold, too! Check the contract that the home inspector had you sign. I'm sure there is a clause that holds him/her not responsible. I'm sorry this happened to you and good luck with the repairs. You can see on the wood that the leak has been happening for a while. See the lighter streaks?

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yummy...black mold, too! Check the contract that the home inspector had you sign. I'm sure there is a clause that holds him/her not responsible. I'm sorry this happened to you and good luck with the repairs. You can see on the wood that the leak has been happening for a while. See the lighter streaks?
Yeah… logically speaking, I’m afraid we’re out of luck on that side of things, but my frustration wants me to try.

They occupied the home until the night before closing and a TV covered everything so we never saw it. We did see that they patched the ceiling right there, but the inspector didn’t mark it as anything so we assumed it was just a cosmetic crack they patched. This shows they were aware of SOME sort of problem, but does it prove they knew there was a water leak/mold? I’m guessing no. The inspector should have used the same context clues I did today to find the problem, but I know they have hold harmless language.

So, I’m sure I’m on the hook for it all. Buyer beware. Bleh.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah… logically speaking, I’m afraid we’re out of luck on that side of things, but my frustration wants me to try.

They occupied the home until the night before closing and a TV covered everything so we never saw it. We did see that they patched the ceiling right there, but the inspector didn’t mark it as anything so we assumed it was just a cosmetic crack they patched. This shows they were aware of SOME sort of problem, but does it prove they knew there was a water leak/mold? I’m guessing no. The inspector should have used the same context clues I did today to find the problem, but I know they have hold harmless language.

So, I’m sure I’m on the hook for it all. Buyer beware. Bleh.
It's frustrating for sure. I'd get up in the attic and see if the mold is in the ceiling trusses and insulation. Hopefully there is only a little. You can buy a premix of mold killer at ACE Hardware and spray down what you can see. You may have to give it a couple or three coats of it. There will be more behind the wood if the water leaked behind it. If you attempt this, move everything out of the room and cover the walls, floors and ceiling with the thin layer of plastic that painter use. Be sure to wear a mask and a hazard suit.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes if there was an old leak, the mold turns black when it’s not active. Bioesque, or benefect will treat and encapsulate it. Your stuck tearing it out to remedy it. Best thing to do if you have no knowledge on mold is have it tested and the test results will come with a protocol to mitigate it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom