Ever see 4 Feet of "Hail"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dumas , Texas... Freak weather system dumped 2-4 feet of hail. When it melted, then came the Flooding. Amazing!

Freak Storm Dumps Hail Feet-Deep on Texas Panhandle (video)
April 12, 2012
By Don Zaidle

An unusual spring storm in the Texas Panhandle Wednesday afternoon dumped two to four feet of hail near Dumas. ......

http://www.fishgame.com/newsblog.php?p=7870

View attachment 20207

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you look at the photo of the truck... with hail up to the windows... that wasn't from rain run off.

Here is another story with photos showing a different perspective. Look at the one with the young lady standing in the drifted hailstones and notice that the surrounding hillsides are bare of hail. Since it is unlikely that the storm dumped it all in the low spot, it had to have been washed into the low ground.

Also, with regards to the video in the original poster, the flooding being as a result of melting hail seems like a stretch to me. Unless it is really, really warm, I wouldn't think hail alone would be enough to create such a flood.

News Story from British News Source

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you look at the photo of the truck... with hail up to the windows... that wasn't from rain run off.

From this story:

“Hail ... up to the size of golfballs fell with the heavy rain,” the Weather Service said in an advisory. More severe even than golfballs falling from the sky was the runoff from the heavy rains, which pushed the hail into three to four foot drifts across U.S. Highway 287 -- closing the route for over 12 hours due to flooding.

Jackson said hail drifts were up to the hood of a Chevy Tahoe.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012...all-sized-hail-to-rain-down-on-midwest-south/

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always thought Borger was the end of the earth.
I lived in Pampa as a kid and thought it was hell on earth. I don't think it was much different than Borger. I refuse to drive thru there coming home from Colorado. I remember one year we had another family coming to stay with us for a few days. It was about 75 out and they had their windows down. The next day their car was full of snow. The storm came in so fast that the National Guard was called out to take kids home from school. The weather is the only interesting thing that ever happens in the Texas panhandle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom