Everybody needs a friend like Festus Haggen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of seeing him in person many years ago. I even had an autographed 8X10 though it was lost during one of many moves.

Ken Curtis was awesome! I had the old 8x10 with his autograph as well, years ago. I saw him several times as a youngun...usually at country rodeos in Texas!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
To sing like Festus, and to play the harmonica like Slim Pickens, can't recall the episode.........................I agree. Charlie McCorry character was a hoot in the Searchers!

okievarmint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Festus has offered to buy Doc a beer with a silver dollar that he earned from shoeing horses.
Doc: Why don't you take that money and invest it in something? Why don't you do that?
Festus: Invest it in what?
Doc: There's wonderful land values outside of Dodge. Now why don't you go out there someplace, look around, and buy yourself a lot?
Festus: A lot of what?
Doc: A lot! A lot of land!
Festus: Well fiddle, I cain't afford to buy a lot of land. You probably could the way you've been a-bilking and a-gouging...
Doc: Oh, hush up! I'm trying to help you, for heaven sakes. It doesn’t cost a whole lot to buy a little lot.
Festus: What do ya mean it don't cost a whole lot to buy a little, or a whole lot to buy a lot, what do ya mean?
Doc: Well, I mean... a little lot of land!
Festus: But there ain't no such a thang. A little's a little, and a lot's a lot, there ain't no little lot, or lot of little, don't ya see? Now you want that beer or don't you?
Doc: No I'm... I'm all worn out.
Festus: ( Shouts to Doc as Doc walks away) If you change your mind me and Newly will be over at the Longbranch having a whole lot of little beers!

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wifes family showed cattle at the Americaan Royal in Kansas City and Festus was doing his mule act as part of the entertainment. Curtis kept coming to the barn to visit with them all the time because they were Hagans. Very nice guy.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'd be lucky to have such a loyal, dependable, scrappy friend. You old scutter, you.

(You young ones won't get this...)
Um, I don't know.

Festus was always showing up at Del Monico's with no money and a sad face waiting for someone to buy him a meal.
Same thing at the saloon. Always getting a free beer courtesy of Doc Adams.

He was likeable enough but kind of a leecher. Must have been a Democrat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom