Eye dominance and sighting systems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Every instructor has run into this at one time or another. Usually one student per class, but sometimes we get lucky and only see it everyother class or so. Invariably it starts with a student that just doesn't seem to "get it", or is slow catching on to the basics. Many times it can be directly related to an eye dominance problem...usually CROSS dominance, where the dominant eye is on the opposite side of the strong hand. The instructor will hear things like it all looks fuzzy, or I see two of everything unless I close an eye, I can't focus on the sight and even see the target. Usually it takes a bit of one on one to figure it out and either have them use their dominant eye to aim with or dim their dominant ey so they can shoot with their "strong" hand....Now all this is well and good for a pistol, but what do we do with a rifle, and how does dominance effect our ability to use one fast and accurately.

We will take the worse case first. Strong off-side dominance and inability to use weakside shooting. The shooter just can't seem to figure out how to get comfortable shooting off their weak side in order to use their dominant eye. This shooter will need an optic that glows brightly AND has the ability for magnification A good 1-4X scope that is daylight visible. The dot allows the non-dominant eye "see the aiming point" and the magnification will allow the weak eye to see the target magnified in the same focal plain as the dot, at distances exceeding 50 yards. In general their transitions will be a bit slow unless they Prairie Dog their head while transitioning from target to target ( pop the head up above the scope to index on the next target). For this person IRON SIGHTS ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO USE!

Next we have the strong side dominance and strong side shooter. Easier to train as he isn't fighting a focal problem, but the short coming is that transitions one way or the other will be slower, due to the fact that the off-side eye is really just along for the ride. Red dots and scopes work well for them, but as magnification increases so does the propensity for "getting stuck in the scope", as they don't have the ability to focus on anything specific with their off-side eye. This shooter will say things like "only a red dot is fast up close", "Any magnification is bad when shooting at less than 50 yards". Transitions will be fairly fast one way and not the other, and if forced to transition the other way will almost always resort to Prairie Dogging. This shooter can use most sighting system fairly well and will be able to utilize iron sights to a fair degree of precission, but will find them slow when shooting in the 0-50 yard range as their eye will be focused on the sight and it will have a bit of focal trouble "seeing the target" and putting all of it together for a fast shot, because his off-side eye isn't helping him.

Next, the shooter who isn't stongly eye dominant or has no dominant eye, about 15% of shooters fall into this catagory. In general they will be able to use any type of sighting system fairly well and at almost any magnification from 4-6X on down ( magnification higher than that will almost always cause the magnified image to "take over" in the image their brain chooses to see ( non dominance allows the shooter to decide mili-second by mili-second which image, from which eye it CHOOSES to see). Examples of these types of people are Glyn Bindon (Trijicon inventor and proponent of the Bindon aiming concept). Dale Armsen of the "occluded gun sight" fame. This shooter can use a low powered scope or dot with equal ease and won't be able to figure out why everyone else CAN'T....This should be a big warning to instructors!! If an instructor ISN'T eye dominant and doesn't know about this he will NEVER understand why some of his student can't do this stuff!!.
This shooter will almost always be the fastest with iron sights in close to mid range (around 150 yards), BECAUSE there is no scope to block his vision one way or the other for either eye, it is easy for him to "see the target" and a sharp clear sight picture, and ALL the open space around it for as far as his perriferal vision extends. He will not need to Prairie Dog as his eyes can see his next target because they can almost work independently (think Iguana vision). A bright dot will tend to draw his eye away from what he usually sees and will in fact slow him down a tiny bit, unless it is very dim!

So in closing, if you are instructing and you have a student that "just doesn't get it" you might take the time to find out if it is eye related. In general most shooters are going to do better with glowing dots and low powered optics that glow for any kind of "tactical" rifle class due to eye dominance issues. There are varring degress between these 3 I have outlined, but in general you will be better off with a dot or low powered variable optic

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fall very deeply into your 2nd scenario, as I am very strong side eye dominant. At least I think my dominant eye is VERY dominant. I have never been able to shoot ANYTHING with both eyes open except when using an unmagnified red dot scope. It's like a miracle or something. But when I go to weak hand I sometimes have trouble finding the dot. That is a technique issue I suspect and not a vision issue, when I do find it the hits are there.

When I shoot a handgun I can see the correct sight picture AND the left side of the gun with the sights up on top and another target. Dryfiring the other day I was goofing around and actually got a correct sight picture a few times. :yikes2: The prairie dogging comes into play and works sometimes, sometimes not.
:explode:

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have strong side eye dominance. I realized how bad it was during an urban Rifle class when trying to shoot support side using an Aimpoint. If I mounted support side in a normal hold I could not find the dot with both eyes open. I had to roll my head around to get my dominant eye behind the tube before I could pick up the dot and about half the time I still couldn't find it due to the positions of my eyes.

If I close my strong side eye everything works fine from suport side. However to get my dominant eye to close I have to physically touch my face. Sitting here at my desk i can close it at will but once I shoulder a rifle it takes me touching my face to break my concetration and allow me to close my eye.

palendn

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I am Right side dominant. I think my problem is I'm near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other. I don't seem to have problems with rifles (optics or iron), my problem is with handguns of different sizes. My Taurus PT 24/7 compact is so short that my dominant eye can't focus that short of a distance. However, my Glock 22 is the right length to work just fine. Both work fine with my weak eye, but no matter which eye the other must be closed.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I must be one of those 15%. I was always told "close your other eye and aim with your dominant" until recently (last year or so) someone mentioned shooting with both eyes open. Hallelujah! It's a miracle, I can SEE!

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about someone who had corrective surgery, lasik, on both eyes. My right eye is for close up work and my left eye is for distance. It took a little brain training to read right and I find myself closing my left eye. I am actually amberdext, whatever, but use my left hand as the strong hand. I can't seem to aim with both eyes open so I close my left eye and sight with my right eye...means tilting my head to one side quite a bit...I focus on the front sight and can see the target, but its blurry of course. Last time at the range I was seeing double with my right eye...Kinda bothers me a lot....

Hitokiri03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I, sadly, am cross dominant. I am right handed, but left eyed. I have tried shooting my friends' iron sighted ARs, but it takes me awhile to adjust. Since I am using a non-dominate eye when shooting them, as I cannot shoot with my left hand (I just can't get the gun to feel right), it takes me a little bit to get my aiming down for whatever distance we are shooting. However, once I have adjusted where I need to aim to offset the non-dominance issue, I outshoot my friends that own the guns.

If I really want to become proficient with firearms, what exactly do I need to do? I am still relatively new to the world of firearms. I don't own a gun, but within the next month, I will be buying a Glock 17.:thumb:

When I shoot a pistol, I usually have my right eye closed and I just use my dominant eye. Is that poor technique? I want to correct bad habits before they get TOO engrained.:smack:

Also, whenever we are using my friend's scoped 30-06 bolt action to shoot coke cans at only 50 yards, I can never seem to hit them. I am using my right hand (dominant) and my right eye (nondominate). What should I change? Any help is appreciated. I love shooting and really want to get better at it. Thanks for your help gentlemen!:thanku:

Latest posts

Top Bottom