Need some advice folks, sights for old eyes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomer mooner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m 63 and had lasik about 30 years ago and still have 20-15, BUT, up close I have issues. I was at the range yesterday with a buddy and was shooting my S&W model 17 masterpiece at 25 yards. Rear and front sights fuzzy as hell. My buddy hands me his shooting glasses that have a sticker on them with a small hole to look through. I’m skeptical as hell, but try them on. I couldn’t believe the difference! Sights were clear as a bell!
The name of the thing is eye pal and they make them for pistol or rifle shooters. Less than $30 for 2 of them.

SKATA

Leave the gun, take the cannoli
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have astigmatism, cataracts, bi-focal glasses. Been really tough shooting my handguns lately. But, I bought a cheap pair of 2.0 and 2.25 reading glasses. And now can see the front sights very good and my hits from 21 to 40 feet are near bullseye. Yeah! Shooting is fun again.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The readers are an excellent idea. I read with 2.75, but shoot with .5s (hard to find) and 1.00.

For your levers, if you don’t get traction with a tang sight or something like a Lyman receiver sight you might give Skinner a try. I shot a Friens Rossi 45 Colt this summer. The rear divetail sported a generous ghost ring even I could make out. It ain’t competive shooting but good enough for recreation or emergency.

I went 16-18 years thinking “this 40-year-old lens thing sure gets bad”. Didn’t know my optic nerve was dying.

Watching the last 5% slowly take a walk so if that works for me then I’d wager it would work for you

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m 63 and had lasik about 30 years ago and still have 20-15, BUT, up close I have issues. I was at the range yesterday with a buddy and was shooting my S&W model 17 masterpiece at 25 yards. Rear and front sights fuzzy as hell. My buddy hands me his shooting glasses that have a sticker on them with a small hole to look through. I’m skeptical as hell, but try them on. I couldn’t believe the difference! Sights were clear as a bell!
The name of the thing is eye pal and they make them for pistol or rifle shooters. Less than $30 for 2 of them.
ill try that

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m in the same boat as several others here. My arms have gotten too short to hold anything out far enough to read. I have been wearing reading glasses for several years now. Can’t see iron sights on anything these days. Anything up close is blurry. Scopes on all rifles, do the best I can with shotguns and pistols. If I’m hunting and it doesn’t die right there, it’s going to be leaving a blood trail or a poop trail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom