Eye dominance and sighting systems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the old test on how to determine which eye is dominant but how do you determine how dominant the dominant eye is. I would like to know where I stand compared to the shooters without a dominant eye because I belive that they have an advantage in the both eyes open shooting.
Also, can you train your non-omminant eye to become more dominant? I see little kids wearing eye patches on their stronger eye to strenghten a lazy eye or eye with weak muscles. Would this work in becomeing more cross dominant?

I would love to get a patch for my right eye and become a better shooter. Plus I would have that sexy soap opera eye patch look going for me which is always a hit with the ladies.

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm right handed and shoot a pistol right handed but am blind in my right eye, I shoot long guns left handed and am a better long gun shot than pistol, not by much but I have noticed it more as I spend more time in class training with various weapons. My biggest problem is I shoot slightly left when point shooting, could it be that the glock isn't a proper fit or is it an eye issue?

Marshall Luton

Defensive Shooting Academy
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know me bro, I'm all about learning and when I get a chance to learn from the guys like you, it's a good day. This is a great reminder to those of us who deal with issues like this. I know I do and have on a regular basis. Thanks for putting this out for the instructors on here. This serves an an excellent example that "you can't learn it all!" Keep testing yourself, keep pushing yourself and get outside of your comfort zone. Thanks man. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom