Factory ammo for Africa trip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
None of those animals you mentioned are difficult to kill, none require anything close to a .375 H&H unless you just want to use it. Anything factory with a Barnes or Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame or Federal Trophy Bond will do. I know someone who's gone with a 30-06 and Remington cor-lokts before with zero issues lol.
I told the guy on the phone yesterday that I'm normally a small caliber guy, so if the 30 cal stuff works thats all I need!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Duiker and steenbock are very small animals. I'd take some 150 grain (or even lighter) for them. For the others, I would lean toward a quality 180 grain bullet. Don't scrimp on ammo. Regulations vary among countries and airlines when it comes to importing firearms and ammo. Be certain to check with the specific airlines you will be flying as well as the countries you will passing through as well as your final destination.

YetiSam

spaghetti pistols
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting --- I'm actually real curious on the suppressor side of things now that you mention it --- was that anything special because it seems like that'd just add layers of complication? I assume that also means you took your complete kit?
Just making sure the serial was on my customs form. The Customs office were sticklers about seeing your original stamp instead of a copy (which is humorous for anyone with a NFA stamp because they are pretty nondescript). Then I had a copy of my Form 4 and my trust when coming back through, but the Houston customs dudes didn't even ask to see it, they mostly just wanted to see pics of what we hunted after glancing at the one-page customs form.

I might have just had a lucky experience, but overall seemed pretty easy. Having the suppressor while hunting was definitely a bonus.

Latest posts

Top Bottom