Factory nickel 28-2 pinned and recessed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s quite a find. Years ago, I had a P&R nickel Model 29. Wish I still had one. There’s just something about those S&W N Frames…

I had one, too, in a 6" barrel. I wasn't fond of the nickel or the barrel length. I sent it to S&W for a 4" barrel and a refinish in their best blue. No 4" barrel available so I got a 5". The bluing on that gun when it returned to me was the most incredibly beautiful gun finish I've ever seen. It was so amazing I called and was finally able to speak to the guy who did the work. He claimed he'd been working for the company since Smith & Wesson were still there. He did incredibly good work. I tried to talk him into working his blue magic on a Colt New Service but he said no can do... I was so disappointed. This would've been in the mid-2000s and I think it cost me a whopping $165 including shipping both ways. But, like the idiot I am, I sold that gun.

I did replace it with a gorgeous 29-2 4". So there's that. Still have that one. I'm not THAT stupid.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The good old S&W Collectors association listed (25) factory nickel 28s, made in 1959, with a 5" barrel. Serial number ranges from S18xxx - S19xxx. Other than that, there are supposedly (5) others that MAY have left the plant at some point afterward.

*Dangit...I messed up...it's (55), not (5) that were produced in 1972. My apologies! I was in a hurry chasing kids. No serial number range or barrel length.

A photo of the left side grip frame factory markings would help determine whether or not to scrutinize further.

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The good old S&W Collectors association listed (25) factory nickel 28s, made in 1959, with a 5" barrel. Serial number ranges from S18xxx - S19xxx. Other than that, there are supposedly (5) others that MAY have left the plant at some point afterward.

A photo of the left side grip frame factory markings would help determine whether or not to scrutinize further.

That's what I read, too. I'd certainly be verifying that SN! Could be a major big score.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1692838526536.png

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I realize the letter could be a fake but either way it’s a pinned and recessed 28-2 in beautiful condition. I plan on contacting Smith tomorrow for my own letter. But I have 400.00 invested and couldn’t be happier.

Man, for $400 it is an exceptional value, even as a shooter-grade.

You did very well Sir.