Fake a space alien attack for stimulus.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could not decide if this should go here or not. Since we do not have a forum for crazies I kept it here.

PAUL KRUGMAN, NEW YORK TIMES: This is hard to get people to do, much better, obviously, to build bridges and roads and healthcare clinics and schools. But my proposed, I actually have a serious proposal which is that we have to get a bunch of scientists to tell us that we’re facing a threatened alien invasion, and in order to be prepared for that alien invasion we have to do things like build high-speed rail. And the, once we’ve recovered, we can say, “Look, there were no aliens.”

But look, I mean, whatever it takes because right now we need somebody to spend, and that somebody has to be the U.S. government.

For those of you who do not know Krugman, he is a Nobel Prize-winning economist much loved by the lefties. He has talked about this idea a few times.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This idea has been the basis for several sci-fi books and movies, and is older than dirt, trite, and pretty much worn out. Of course, like for those who see an elephant for the first time, it's initially pretty interesting. CB

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...much better, obviously, to build bridges and roads and healthcare clinics and schools.

Government as provider and stimulator of the economy is a bad idea. Unfortunately many or even most Americans think it is a great idea.

I've lived in a third world country where foreign aid built "bridges and roads and healthcare clinics and schools" everywhere. It remains a third world country and they have big problems paying for upkeep on the bridges and roads. There are healthcare clinics scattered around but the people who work in them may not know what they are doing. Likewise for the schools there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom