Favorite war movies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ira41magfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the only one I liked because one of the Dirty Dozen in real life lived in Ponca City. He was portrayed by Lee Marvin in the movie. I was honored to talk to Jake many times as we were both members of the local VFW and American Legion posts. Never shy to tell a story if you wanted to listen.
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/01/23/wwii-hero-inspiration-for-the-dirty-dozen-dies.html

Hours before June 6, 1944 – famously known as the D-Day invasion -- McNiece led 18 paratroopers as they jumped into France, and destroyed two bridges and took control of a third in order to prevent German reinforcements from moving into Normandy.

Sixteen men were killed during the mission. Only McNiece and two others survived, but their actions helped the Allies liberate France from the Nazis. In September 2012, News 9's Alex Cameron spoke with McNiece as he was honored at the state Capitol with France's most prestigious honor for his actions during the war.

https://www.news9.com/story/20640856/oklahoma-inspiration-behind-the-dirty-dozen-dies
Now THAT'S dadgum awsome !

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I almost forgot one:
The Siege of Jadotville
It's based on the true story of a company of Irish UN Peacekeepers in the Congo who get hung out to dry by their commanders and the UN. Excellent flick.
Sounds vaguely familiar, Benghazi?

I'll add The Siege of Firebase Gloria and The Green Berets.

I was in college ROTC in 75 and was taught by a Cpt. Saunders Airborne, RANGER, with three tours in Nam. His first tour he found out the RANGER tab was NOT BULLETPROOF as they all told him. He said he was leading a patrol and came upon a trail. He said he set out his OP's and rear guard then (acting cool like the Fonz) "Joe Jack Cool Lieutenant Saunders walked out into the trail, lit up a Marlboro and woke up in Fort Leonard Wood, MO." He showed us a RANGER tab with a perfect hole between the N and G and a Zippo lighter that deflected another bullet INTO his leg. He said the third 7.62 x 39 nicked his kidney. He said he didn't remember any of it. He did say he was more careful the next time.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best ever -Lawrence of Arabia

Rest In no order
Run silent run deep
Kelly’s heroes
Dirty dozen
Guns of Navarone
Bridge over the river Kwai