Federal primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to reloading and try to learn from all available sources. Safety is a big issue. I've read several posts on other forums about whether or not to use Federal primers with Lee equipment. Apparently Lee does not recommend using Federal primers with some of their equipment. The general take on the posts I've read is that Federal primers are more pressure sensitive than others, increasing the likelihood of ignition while priming. Has anyone had bad experiences with Federal primers in any reloading equipment, not just Lee?

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Federal has the stigma of being the softest primer, but I load several thousand of them every year and haven't ever seen an issue with them.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have run several thousand thru my CH auto champ progressive with no problems, they work a heck of a lot better than CCI.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used a Lee 4 hole turret press for many, many years. I don't use Federal primers with it (didn't know Lee said not to either).

Why?

Because out of all the primer brands I've tried Federal are the only primers that flip when pushing them into the brass. I've tried everything I can think of but try as I might 1 in ever 9 or 10 will flip on me.

Don't have that problem with CCI, Winchester or Magtech primers.

Wierd huh?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Federal primers are the softest commercially availabe primers. They are a staple of competition revolver shooters for their reliable ignition with light actions (some as low as 5# in DA). I have loaded thousands of them on a Dillon 550 and know several competitors who have loaded tens of thousands more.

I have one Federal primer detonate on the priming ram due to debris getting between the primer and the ram. That is the only one I personally know of. Other than lightly ringing ears, there was no other consequence.

Latest posts

Top Bottom