Female Hunter creates outrage with trophy photos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish on

Marksman
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying that I don't hunt. I've never been able to get past the idea of lining an animal up in my sights and killing it. I know I'll feel bad about it and don't think I ever will unless I'm stuck in the woods without food. I'm also not opposed to others hunting and I'd be happy to butcher the already dead animal if I can eat some. I just don't want to do the killing.
Hunting a giraffe is no different than hunting a deer, kitten, fish or grasshopper in anything but perception. Animals are animals, meat is meat. In each circumstance an animal is killed and eaten, but certain people value some animals more than others. Cute animals, or zoo animals seem to be held in higher regard than cows and pigs. Americans don't eat horse, many Europeans do. Plenty of people won't eat 'meat' but they'll eat the flesh of those critters with gills and call themselves pescatarians because cows can have sad eyes and fish have an empty stare. I wonder how many of those people realize that mammal meat is mammal muscle and fish meat is fish muscle. It's all the same if the emotional attachment to the animal is taken out. It's fine to not want to eat kitten, but it's not right to call those that do monsters.

It is simply called Responsibility. That woman or in fact any man does not need to kill such an animal. Let the locals kill what they eat then, why does some Americans who have twisted this Trophy Hunting have to go to such lengths to be proud of killing such a animal. There has to be a line drawled somewhere.

And thank you for your respectable response. While I disagree, I would like to interject that your response holds fallacy comments if you or the person believes in the Bible. The Bible describes in very easy to understand descriptions of what can and cannot be eaten. This is, if you believe in it.

Fish on

Marksman
Reaction score
Actually killing the giraffe was exactly like fishing for food as the animal was consumed by the locals, and most folks around here aren't too quick to criticize others hunting (or fishing) practices as it just fuels the fires of the anti hunting groups. Hey the Australians regularly hunt horses, donkey's and kangaroos.

PS. where we moving to BB????

To you men who resort to attacking and calling names. Here is a response with a differeing opinion that was written with respect, the person disagree with my opinion, but sure does not resort to belitteling, snarky remarks, just plain expresses his or her opinions. Might want to learn from this post. trickydicky thanks for posting a cordial response.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your way out in left field. It is simply called Responsibility. That woman or in fact any man does not need to kill such an animal. There has to be a line drawled somewhere.

Who's to say where the line is to be drawn, and what would be the qualifications of that person doing so? I agree with cody; I'm not a hunter either, but I do not condemn folks who hunt where the animal is processed afterward and its carcass put to use. However, to condemn the woman for hunting and killing a giraffe - where the locals benefited from the hunt - is, IMHO, not for me to do so. Now, if the woman had shot and killed the giraffe and left it to rot for no reason other than the thrill, I would have a comment or two of the negative kind, especially if the killing would put the population at risk.

I think cody nailed it. Perception.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Modern life has separated a large part of the population from reality. The failure to experience first hand how meat is produced and the personification of animals by Disney and other entertainment entities had led to a predictable series of foolish beliefs. One of these major deficits is a lack of understanding that properly managed hunting benefits animal populations by preventing overpopulation, starvation and disease. Harvesting wildlife, under the limits determined by scientific wildlife management guidelines, is tremendously beneficial to wildlife.

Overlying this is the rise of social media which empowers people to anonymously condemn and castigate thereby giving the misguided individual a false sense of accomplishment and moral superiority. Social media crusaders badly need to spend more time directly engaged in real experiences and in directly interacting with real people.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There goes that male ego kicking in! "Me big man, me make woman feel small" "Me call her names" This is so typical of a a man who has not grown up, you instantly resort to name calling like you did when you were a little boy.

Simply amazing that you men cannot take a differing opinion. Go shoot and kill you a Giraffe Mr. Moderator, hope it makes you feel big, tough! Cause it sure won't in front of people who have a respect for the hunting.

It appears you are the one that can't handle a differing opinion. Your attempts to belittle people that don't agree with your position are indicative of a person attempting to troll this thread. You wouldn't be the first to do it.
This thread is full of factual information relating to hunting in general and specifically hunting in Africa. If anybody has some pertinent information to add to this thread, post away.
I'd suggest everybody in this thread tone it down. That's as politically correct as I can say it.
Carry on.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is simply called Responsibility. That woman or in fact any man does not need to kill such an animal. Let the locals kill what they eat then, why does some Americans who have twisted this Trophy Hunting have to go to such lengths to be proud of killing such a animal. There has to be a line drawled somewhere.

Typical emotionally driven opinion. I'm wondering if you've ever seen how some of these villages live? To tell them "yea I could kill that animal that would feed all of you for 2 weeks, but I just can't because it's cute". I'm sure they would understand.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As the apex-predator we have a responsibility to manage wildlife. Some will and some won't. Problem is, the "some won't's" want to demonize the "some will's." The lion population will continue to decline, not due to legal hunting but due to habitat loss. The human species likes to reproduce like rabbits and pretend that it does not adversely impact the other wildlife we share this planet with. See that house you're living in? That spot right there housed some form of wildlife... You pushed it out to another area where it had to compete for food with others... Naturally, over time, wildlife numbers will decline. There is no free lunch, not even if humans think so. This is a finite planet and it can only sustain so much. Hunting is a way to manage the "herd." Keep them healthy and hopefully keep their numbers up. Poaching on the other hand is the precise opposite. Hunting serves a purpose and is good for the overall population of animals that are legally hunted.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little more education on the topic here. A typical giraffe costs $3500 to harvest. In addition to meat provided to locals, that's $3500 more pumped into a struggling African nation. And these animals are not just shot willy nilly. They are managed to a greater extent than animals here. Because for many Africans, this is their natural resource for livelihood.

Latest posts

Top Bottom